Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu February 26th, 2009, 7:33 pm

I got the book on Typhoid Mary today, but someone has underlined some of it and written a few things, but it's still readable, thankfully!

I don't know if my new/used store will accept it though.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri February 27th, 2009, 3:12 am

It was a really bad day and I've held off buying books so today I treated myself to a quick fix and ordered two Alison Weir books, Eleanor of Aquitaine and Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri February 27th, 2009, 3:30 am

I bought French and American Images of Joan of Arc. It is only 80 pages n 5 bucks.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri February 27th, 2009, 3:54 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I got the book on Typhoid Mary today, but someone has underlined some of it and written a few things, but it's still readable, thankfully!

I don't know if my new/used store will accept it though.

SM[/quote]

Is this the one that Anthony Bourdain wrote? One of my pet peeves are people who write in books without good cause. Flyleaf = ok. Underlining = bad form.

Nona: Sometimes retail therapy is the only thing that gets me through the day. Unless it's a really good afternoon tea...

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri February 27th, 2009, 4:00 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Is this the one that Anthony Bourdain wrote? One of my pet peeves are people who write in books without good cause. Flyleaf = ok. Underlining = bad form.

Nona: Sometimes retail therapy is the only thing that gets me through the day. Unless it's a really good afternoon tea...[/quote]

No, this one was is by Judith Walzer Leavitt, from 1997. I looked at the Bourdain book but it was only 160 pages and I always found him a bit annoying when I watched some of his shows. If I'm going to buy a book I want it to be over 200 pages or it's not worth it for me, this one is 336 pages.

I agree about underlining, but maybe they were using it for a paper or something.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri February 27th, 2009, 4:09 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]No, this one was is by Judith Walzer Leavitt, from 1997. I looked at the Bourdain book but it was only 160 pages and I always found him a bit annoying when I watched some of his shows. If I'm going to buy a book I want it to be over 200 pages or it's not worth it for me, this one is 336 pages.

I agree about underlining, but maybe they were using it for a paper or something.

SM[/quote]

His writing isn't as brazen or blantant as his shows. The book on TM is pretty straight up and forthright -- I found it to be very interesting look at the servant class in NY during the turn of the century. But then, I'm a fan of his (his restaurants in NY are superb), and so, I'm a wee bit biased.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri February 27th, 2009, 4:16 am

[quote=""Telynor""]His writing isn't as brazen or blantant as his shows. The book on TM is pretty straight up and forthright -- I found it to be very interesting look at the servant class in NY during the turn of the century. But then, I'm a fan of his (his restaurants in NY are superb), and so, I'm a wee bit biased.[/quote]

Ah. Even if I hadn't know who he was I would've still chosen the longer book :)

SM
My Booksfree Queue

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri February 27th, 2009, 8:21 am

Today I received Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri February 27th, 2009, 9:21 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Today I received Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.[/quote]

I really liked that one. A bit harrowing at times. But it is the books that move you that leave the lasting impressions.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 27th, 2009, 11:51 am

"the Marais Assassin" just arrived in the post.

Return to “Archives”