Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The things you find at Costco....

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue February 24th, 2009, 7:12 am

[quote=""LCW""]Thanks for all the great name suggestions, everyone! We ended up going with Angel. [/quote]

Great name! And so he's all pit bull, very cute. I'm sure he'll be a marvelous companion; you were meant for each other, it seems. ;)
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue February 24th, 2009, 4:53 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""] I also do not booster vaccinate: she has had her set of puppy shots and that is it. I've tested her titers (antibodies) and she shows good levels of immunity. The booster shots killed my previous dog when she was 10 years old; she developed a horrific auto immune disease fueled by the leptosporiosis portion of the booster. I was devastated by her loss; it was a long, dreadful illness and costly. Never again. We over-vaccinate our animals in the US.[/quote]

I definitely agree that we over vaccinate in this country. My dog, Lila, came down with a horrible auto immune disease and she almost died when she was about 4 years old. It's one of the reasons I switched to raw but I'm sure that the vaccinating every year had a lot to do with it. My vet does the puppy shots (minus the Leptospirosis), then one year later, then every three years. Pit bulls are very susceptible to parvo and parvo is epidemic in Southern California so I'll definitely be getting him his booster in a year but after that every three years is plenty. An after age 10 no shots at all, except rabies as required by law.

I've never had titers done but I suppose I should consider it. My issue is that we travel quite a bit and while we arrange for a pet sitter for the cats sometimes we have had to end up boarding the dog. Unfortunately kennels and day care facilities haven't updated their vaccine requirements and still require pets to be over vaccinated. I've gotten around this and taken a bunch of literature to the local boarding kennel we use but I was lucky there! Most of them wouldn't even consider it! I wonder if it would be different if I walked in there with titer results??
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue February 24th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Ohhhh.... great name LCW. I can't wait to see more photos!!!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”