Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The things you find at Costco....

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri February 20th, 2009, 8:56 am

Loving the pictures LCW and you got to the comment about raw food before I did. A lot of myths do abound.
I also think my vet is so anti raw food because earlier in her career she had to go to a meat plant that served our big supermarket chain Sainsbury's and the pork there was infested with some sort of parasite - and was going for human consumption. That's obviously made her very wary. But we buy locally raised meat from a trusted local butcher we know well. There's probably more horrid stuff in the kibble than in the meat - LOL!
In the UK we have a major insurance company called Churchill and their advertising logo is a toy nodding bulldog called Churchill, so I'm kinda put off - not that I'm naming him. Winston is a popular name for British bulldogs. I love Angel. And surely a guardian angel must have been looking over him when you found him!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri February 20th, 2009, 1:46 pm

He just might be a Spence! Sorta classier than Spike, ya know? Or you could name him Raphael or Gabriel for the archangels.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 20th, 2009, 7:41 pm

I found some pictures on the web of "Daddy", Ceasar Milan's pit bull. I'm almost positive this puppy will turn out to look like him with the big rectangular had, big jaws, and some loose skin around the neck and head. In a way that's good as Daddy is a pretty well known and well loved dog in this country, even though he is a pit bull. It might make socilizing the puppy easier as people will be more likely to approach a pitbull who looks like the nice sweet one they are familiar with. Although this puppy will NEVER get as fat as Daddy, lol! That's one chubby pit bull! :D

BTW, yesterday someone called in response the the ad saying this was their puppy so I arranged to meet them in a grocery store parking lot. The woman was all excited when she called, described the color, even the way his ears flopped. But when I got out of the car with the puppy the poor lady burst into tears as soon as she saw him because this puppy looked similar to hers but was smaller. What are the odds??? I felt awful for her!! I hope she finds her puppy! Even though I really want to keep him I was sort of happy at the thought that he might actually have a loving caring owner who is frantically searching for him and I could reunite them.

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 20th, 2009, 7:45 pm

[quote=""Leyland""] Or you could name him Raphael or Gabriel for the archangels.[/quote]

Oooh, I like Raphael! It might be a bit long and complicated sounding for a dog's name though! My fiance thinks we should name him something tough sounding, "appropriate for a male pit bull", he says! I think just the opposite! What you name your dog has an affect on people's reactions to it. IMO, people will be more likely to be friendly toward a pit bull named Angel or Pookie than one named Rueger or Killer, or something like that.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri February 20th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Oh that poor woman! I would be heartbroken if Jasper ever got lost! I hope she finds her dog!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat February 21st, 2009, 2:25 pm

[quote=""LCW""] What you name your dog has an affect on people's reactions to it. IMO, people will be more likely to be friendly toward a pit bull named Angel or Pookie than one named Rueger or Killer, or something like that.[/quote]
True! The name is for people, the dog couldn't care less, as long as you don't confuse him by switching around whatever that noise is that you use to mean him.
My boys got a really sweet chesapeake bay retriever when they were younger, and they wanted a name that would scare the neighborhood bullies. So they called him 'Machete'. Unfortunately, the name soon morphed into 'much-sh*tty', which was certainly true for a growing pup of that size!

Given your happy meeting, why not call him 'Bonanza'? the fiance could call him 'Bo' which is short and masculine without being scary. And older people will hark back to the TV show.

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 2:43 am

What about Atticus? He is my favorite literary hero. If I ever get another dog that's what I will name him.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Thanks for all the great name suggestions, everyone! We ended up going with Angel. I just think it fits him so perfectly with his "angel wings" and the circumstances I found him in. Some of you might remember that I put a deposit down on a Presa Canario litter but the one male puppy ended up not making it. So this little guy is even more of a bonus for us. Plus we got to rescue him! Even better! I'll post more pics once my camera battery charges.

And I took him to the vet yesterday for his exam and shots and I asked her if he could me a mix with Sharpei and her response was, "Oh no, he's definitely all pit bull". Cool!! She also guessed him to be about 14-15 weeks old which is what I thought he was. So we're making his official birthday Nov. 6th! He charmed the entire staff and was a perfect little "angel" the entire time! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 6:02 pm

Well angels can kick butt too when necessary. Archangel Michael is captain of the Heavenly host, isn't he?

Sorry to have missed the naming bonanza. I was going to suggest Reginald or Beauregard.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue February 24th, 2009, 7:09 am

[quote=""EC2""]CW and LCW, you feed raw? Good to hear that because so do we with our mongrel mutt, especially that your vet is supportive CW. Our vet's not so keen due to issues of contamination in uncooked meat, but I trust my butcher's sources and the dog's been eating raw for nearly 11 years now and other than natural ageing symptoms is happy and healthy.[/quote]

Oh, yes. Raw is all I'll feed her. I actually switched a few years back to using "Primal": a raw food made by a local California company that contains everything, plus some extra fun ingredients like sea kelp, that I used to spend hours making - it comes in handy frozen medallions I defrost. Wonderful selection: pheasant and venison are Paris's favorites. I supplement with extra raw stuff on the side, like carrots and blueberries (which she adores) but this food is complete. Amazing.

My vet is very supportive. I also do not booster vaccinate: she has had her set of puppy shots and that is it. I've tested her titers (antibodies) and she shows good levels of immunity. The booster shots killed my previous dog when she was 10 years old; she developed a horrific auto immune disease fueled by the leptosporiosis portion of the booster. I was devastated by her loss; it was a long, dreadful illness and costly. Never again. We over-vaccinate our animals in the US.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Chat”