Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pricing

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Pricing

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 18th, 2009, 1:25 am

As a reader, are you ever prejudiced against lower-priced books by unknown authors?

I've heard occasionally (in the music business) that if you don't set your price at the same level as what others charge, people will think something is wrong with your work. Or they will think that you think there is something wrong with your work. And if you don't think it's good, why should they waste time with it? etc...

The pragmatist in me (yes, there is one, she comes up for air once in a while) thinks that is just nuts: cheap can be good.

What's your opinion?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed February 18th, 2009, 1:32 am

Not me! I'm always glad to find a cheap book.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed February 18th, 2009, 4:49 am

No. I'd be a lot more prejudiced against high-priced fiction by an unknown author! I actually don't buy a lot of fiction by authors I don't know, unless I'm browsing in a bookstore and the book as a whole - cover art, jacket description and a few pages of the book itself - appeal to me. If that's the case, I'm more likely to buy it at a lower price than at a higher price.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed February 18th, 2009, 6:14 am

I'm trying not to buy new books..... no more shelf space ....I use the library and most of the time I can buy the "new" book used in a couple of months....Exception to the rule if the price is right and I too must be interested the author,subject or era......

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 18th, 2009, 1:21 pm

[quote=""chuck""]I'm trying not to buy new books..... no more shelf space ....I use the library and most of the time I can buy the "new" book used in a couple of months....Exception to the rule if the price is right and I too must be interested the author,subject or era......[/quote]

I'm with Chuck, but not just shelf space, but hard earned cash. I do tend to tread more carefully for a high priced book that never ever drops in price - usually a sign of self-published or POD. I'm not trying to set off another debate but having recently been burned by one of them I'm treating them very carefully.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 18th, 2009, 3:02 pm

That makes perfect sense to me, Misfit. One way to avoid getting burned on POD and self-published is to not buy any that don't have a preview or "look inside this book" feature. Won't solve all burnings but it could eliminate a lot of them.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 18th, 2009, 3:10 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]That makes perfect sense to me, Misfit. One way to avoid getting burned on POD and self-published is to not buy any that don't have a preview or "look inside this book" feature. Won't solve all burnings but it could eliminate a lot of them.[/quote]

I do so wish I had done that with the last POD. I noticed afterwards that it was available and I looked through it and most definitely some of the excerpts would have sent me running for the hills.

Although I do have to admit buying a couple of self-pubbed books without knowing they were such and thoroughly enjoyed them.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 18th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Yeah, the problem is for every good self-pub there seem to be at least 20 bad ones.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed February 18th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Of the self-published novels sent to me for review, I've found the first two or three pages will almost always tell me if it's worth continuing to read. Sometimes novels are self-published because publishers don't think the subject matter will appeal to readers - for example, if the novel is about a relatively obscure historical personality. Other times, they are self-published because they're just not very readable. Most of the time, the difference becomes obvious pretty quickly.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri February 20th, 2009, 3:38 am

Of the self-published novels sent to me for review, I've found the first two or three pages will almost always tell me if it's worth continuing to read.
I'm pretty sure this is how agents and editors feel, Margaret.

I have to admit to price prejudice. But only if this book is expensive, not cheap.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “The Writing Business”