Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Feb 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 16th, 2009, 11:13 am

[quote=""Ash""]Speaking of not knowing how the story ends: I just finished Loving Frank. The end was a total shock and I am still rather dizzy from it. Wow. I was going to say that this book was less than I expected, that I didn't think either character was fleshed out enough, or that there was little that explained why Mamah would leave her children and run away with Frank Lloyd Wright, and stay with him so long. But the ending may have made up for it all. Wow. But I still have many quibbles with the book, mainly that she made what should have been a very hot affair rather boring, so Id give it a 3.

Vanessa, how are you doing with the book?

TC Boyle has a new book our called The Women, about the four women in Wrights life, among them his mistress. Looking forward to reading that.[/quote]

I think I'm agreeing with you so far, Ash! It seems a little disjointed and not a lot of chemistry going on between the characters. I have about 100 pages to go.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 16th, 2009, 11:35 am

[quote=""TLee""]I am reading the Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent - not sure if I like it or not.[/quote]

I wasn't sure about this one at first, I found it slow and all the detail of life on the farm was a bit tedious. However, persevere! The second half is very gripping, worth staying with it.

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Mon February 16th, 2009, 4:05 pm

I am currently reading The adventures of Alianore Audley by Brian Wainwright. I love it...it has an entirely differnt take on some important events in British history. It has set me of in gales of giggling, which hasn't happened before with a historical fiction . I love it a lot!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon February 16th, 2009, 4:15 pm

[quote=""enelya""]I am currently reading The adventures of Alianore Audley by Brian Wainwright. I love it...it has an entirely differnt take on some important events in British history. It has set me of in gales of giggling, which hasn't happened before with a historical fiction . I love it a lot![/quote]

It's a brilliant book Enelya - definitely one in my gallery of 'Best historical reads ever.'
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon February 16th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Reading EC's The Conquest in between watching episodes of a Korean soap opera, The King and I.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue February 17th, 2009, 12:10 am

Can't remember who asked, but I am really really enjoying The Invention of Everything Else. I now want to get my hands on everything Tesla.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue February 17th, 2009, 3:37 am

The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 17th, 2009, 5:49 am

Sigh, I'm wallbanging another book..."Jane and the Unpleasantness At Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery" by Stephanie Barron. I'm finding the writing style to odd for me and I'm not connecting with the characters or the mystery. Oh well.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue February 17th, 2009, 8:48 am

Next up for me is Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 17th, 2009, 7:40 pm

The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”