Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat February 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]

BTW has anybody seen the "other" The Other Boleyn Girl from the 1980s? Jodhi May starred in it. Netflix says there's a very long wait for it, and I'm wondering if it's any good.[/quote]

I have, and SonjaMarie is quite right, it was a dramatisation by the BBC about 5 or 6 years ago. I liked it. It's certainly much better than the movie (not difficult, I know :rolleyes :) . I haven't read the book, so can't comment on how close it is as an adaptation. Jodhi May was excellent as Anne Boleyn tho.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat February 14th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I watched the Queen yesterday. Very interesting portrait of Elizabeth II.
We just got netflix, and I'm amazed at the titles available. Not much of a movie-watcher, but I'm thinking I'm going to be seeing more, as somehow baby and book don't mix quite as well as baby and dvd.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat February 14th, 2009, 11:40 pm

I borrowed Girl with a Pearl Earring from my public library and will watch it sometime this weekend. I read the book in January, enjoyed it very much, and am interested in how it was depicted on film.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat February 14th, 2009, 11:44 pm

We just came back from seeing Coraline, and I still feel like I'm in another world, aka Dorothy or Alice. Very well done, good adaptation of the book (tho quite a bit weirder). I can't imagine any other director doing this

BTW, I wouldn't take young kids to this. If your child can handle the wicked witch of the west, she's old enough.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat February 14th, 2009, 11:46 pm

[quote=""MLE""]We just got netflix, and I'm amazed at the titles available.[/quote]

I've been trying to talk husband into getting Netflix. He says we have too many unwatched DVDs and videos, which is true!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun February 15th, 2009, 1:51 am

[quote=""Susan""]I borrowed Girl with a Pearl Earring from my public library and will watch it sometime this weekend. I read the book in January, enjoyed it very much, and am interested in how it was depicted on film.[/quote]

My husband and I just watched this film. He hated it. I thought it was visually stunning, but was very disappointed with the dramatic representation. I can't remember when I saw a film with less dialogue.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun February 15th, 2009, 6:39 am

"Undercover Blues"

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun February 15th, 2009, 3:18 pm

I watched Fool's Gold on HBO last night and enjoyed the romantic treasure-hunting adventure. The story is set in the Bahamas and Key West and I really loved the scenery. I kept thinking 'Key West looks really different than the last time I was there in the mid 1980's, maybe I need to roadtrip down there and hang out for a few days'. I just looked up the film locations in IMDb and they're pretty much all Australia.

Oh well, guess I won't be roadtripping now, but I would love to hop a plane and visit Queensland!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 15th, 2009, 5:04 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]The "first" "The Other Boleyn Girl" came out in 2003, not the 80s.

SM[/quote]

Oops! Sorry about that. I keep getting adaptations of various films mixed up.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 15th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Finished TOBG. Ending is beyond ridiculous! David Morissey was great, and I thought Eric Bana did a good job as well.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”