Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

villains

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:11 pm

I like villains who are intelligent/funny. None of those one-dimensional, idiot, evil overlord types for me. I also like to get a sense of why a villain is the way he/she is.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:26 pm

I could easily identify what I like about fictional villains, but historical "villains" (which I assume to mean murderers) are much more difficult to read about/write because few people probably considers themselves a villain. Stalin, for example, probbaly thought of himself as quite the stand-up guy. Clearly, he knew he was a murderer, but while that word has terrible connotations for most of us, I'd be willing to bet that in his mind, there were varying degrees of murderers defined (and sometimes excused) by motivation/position in society.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 8:14 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]I could easily identify what I like about fictional villains, but historical "villains" (which I assume to mean murderers) are much more difficult to read about/write because few people probably considers themselves a villain. Stalin, for example, probbaly thought of himself as quite the stand-up guy. Clearly, he knew he was a murderer, but while that word has terrible connotations for most of us, I'd be willing to bet that in his mind, there were varying degrees of murderers defined (and sometimes excused) by motivation/position in society.[/quote]

Isn't he the guy who said that one death is a tragedy but a million deaths is a statistic?

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 8:54 pm

Yes! And the one death he was talking about was probably his own. :/
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:33 pm

I would have to say that I love to hate Prince John in Geillis's Roselynd Chronicle series. Or how about PG's Beatrice Lacey...although she is probably idenified as the protagonist, she can also be grouped as a villian as well as she is so corrupt and evil. Thus I would nominate her as another villian that you love to hate!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:42 pm

My favorite villains of all time are Maegwllyn (sp?) and Sir Nicholas from Nectar From A Stone. Maegwllyn was just creepily evil while Nicholas was deviously insane! They were just flat out bad but also had touching sides to them and they really believed they were right. They were just absolutely brilliant!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Eyza
Scribbler

Post by Eyza » Sun September 7th, 2008, 11:48 pm

Margaret and all:

I kind of tend to prefer what might be called "antiheroes" to real "villains". For one thing, they're more complex and less likely to be one-dimensional. For another, you end up having some sympathy for them, although these characters end up doing bad things. Besides, they're kind of "driven" to do them, even if they want to do "right", which makes for a more "textured" story.
Anne G

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue September 9th, 2008, 3:25 pm

"The Three Musketeers"...The lovely, charming and villainous Milady de Winter....strangling Constance with a Rosary...a very nasty deed....
Last edited by chuck on Tue September 9th, 2008, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 9th, 2008, 4:10 pm

[quote=""chuck""]"The Three Musketeers"...The lovely, charming and villainous Milady de Winter....strangling Constance with a Rosary...a very nasty deed....[/quote]

Milady was very very wicked indeed, as was her son in Twenty Years After.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue September 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Milady was very very wicked indeed, as was her son in Twenty Years After.[/quote]

Hello Misfit....The great writer... Dumas....I need to read him again....Might be a good for the coming Winter to re-read AD again....Haven't read him since my College Lit. days....It was required reading and it opened the doors for my passion for HF....Cheers.....P.S...This is such a informative and friendly group of posters....Long live HF Online....

Return to “General Discussion”