Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holy Crap! Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP pick

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:24 pm

Thank you so much Telynor! I was beginning to think I was the only person who knows that Congress really calls the shots in this country.

I haven't made up my mind. Normally in a choice between two liars (and what else can you call politicians?) I choose the one with better advertising because he's spending his money wisely.

Strategically, McCain made a good choice. Solidifying his base, and choosing someone fresh and "an outsider" was smart move for him. It's just like Obama choosing Biden.

Lila, I absolutely agree with you that everyone needs to leave the girl alone. Maybe the Palins believe that sex-education belongs in the home rather than the school. However if anyone finds a way to make teenagers listen and actually follow their parents' advice please let me know.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:25 pm

I absolutely agree with you Lila re: Palin's daughter. The only other thing I though about adding is that doesn't getting pregnant out of wedlock go against the whole right wing dogma? I wonder what the Republicans would be saying if it was a Democrat's daughter going thru this ("liberal moral values"...) I just think it's ironic.

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:48 pm

I'm sorry, but with 5 kids, the eldest being a 17 year old unmarried pregnant girl and her 5 month old having Down Syndrome she needs to be home taking care of her own family!! I also question her judgement to accept the nomination when her daughter is going through one of the toughest decisions of her life (trust me, I know) and she is thrust into the media to be ripped apart. I feel sorry for her kids....and for us if she's elected.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 7:57 pm

Hey, folks, this is supposed to be an HF forum. I notice the conservatives among us tend to be much more reserved, how about a little restraint on the part of the liberals?
Surely there are political forums full of like-minded posters where it would be more tactful to air these opinions.
Just so you know -- I used to march for abortion. Now I have kids, and I've counseled many, many women traumatized by abortions. I no longer hold those views, and some of you may change as well.

Silence isn't always golden -- sometimes it's yellow.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 8:19 pm

Actually, per the New Testament, premarital sex is not considered a sin if you get married.

And Amyb, my mother agrees with you. She also thinks the Obama girls deserve a chance for a normal life.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 9:11 pm

[quote=""amyb""]I'm sorry, but with 5 kids, the eldest being a 17 year old unmarried pregnant girl and her 5 month old having Down Syndrome she needs to be home taking care of her own family!! I also question her judgement to accept the nomination when her daughter is going through one of the toughest decisions of her life (trust me, I know) and she is thrust into the media to be ripped apart. I feel sorry for her kids....and for us if she's elected.[/quote]

No one would say that if she were a man. Just throwin it out there.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 9:31 pm

So true. Besides, the behaviour of a 17 year old child should not necessarily reflect negatively on the parents. Even the best parents have children who do things (or believe things) that they (the parents) would not agree with or would think is wrong. At this age, children have their own minds and their own beliefs and are responsible for their own actions - including taking responsibility for them. You can not control a teenager (nor do you really want to) - you can only guide them. That is part of the growing up process.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:01 pm

Also, Pelosi has 5 kids and no one in the media ever questioned her fitness as a mother. How many other women with children who hold political office have been told to stay home? No men of course. Where were Mrs. Edward small children when she was on the campaign trail?

Let's face it. If Palin were a Democrat, she would receive the Helen Reddy Award. It seems the media "feminists" approve only if one is a liberal by their standards.

Hypocracy Award contest is now on.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 11:35 pm

Let him or her who never did anything that might result in an extramarital pregnancy, or who can swear their kids didn't, or never will, cast the first stone.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 12:02 am

I am really tired of this whole thing. There are many other things coming out about Palin right now that people need to read and hear about. The pregnancy is a smoke screen.

And MLE you are right of course about this being a History forum. But this is 'chat' and I assume thats open? If not, someone needs to define what the 'chat thread' is for. And BTW I do like your statement above.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”