Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Mon February 9th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Just saw The Duchess, with Kierra Knightley and Ralph Fiennes...the movie is based on the true story of Georgiana - the Duchess of Devonshire. Not action packed by any means, but a pretty good film - the costumes and sets were great.

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon February 9th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Telynor: Have you seen the A&E miniseries _Victoria and Albert_?
Ohhh.... no! Is it any good? I'll have to get my hands on it!

Yes, Billy Connelly played Mr. Brown and did an amazing job. I find it fascinating that Victoria would choose to be buried with his portrait, his ring, and his hair... Their relationship must have been intimate indeed!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 9th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Just read that the BBC are going to be filming "Emma" (Austen). Must admit my heart sank, admittedly I'm not a huge Austen fan and I know these things are always popular but Austen is always being filmed and there are so many other classics out there that haven't been filmed for years (if at all), I just wish they would do something a bit different.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon February 9th, 2009, 8:55 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Just read that the BBC are going to be filming "Emma" (Austen). Must admit my heart sank, admittedly I'm not a huge Austen fan and I know these things are always popular but Austen is always being filmed and there are so many other classics out there that haven't been filmed for years (if at all), I just wish they would do something a bit different.[/quote]

Are they filming a new one or just showing their last version (1996) again? That's one that has yet to be done right. The late '80s to early '90s there weren't any Austen adaptations that I'm aware of.

Oh, and the BBC/A&E Victoria & Albert is wonderful.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon February 9th, 2009, 10:21 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Just read that the BBC are going to be filming "Emma" (Austen). Must admit my heart sank, admittedly I'm not a huge Austen fan and I know these things are always popular but Austen is always being filmed and there are so many other classics out there that haven't been filmed for years (if at all), I just wish they would do something a bit different.[/quote]

What AGAIN :rolleyes:

I like Austen but enough already!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon February 9th, 2009, 11:45 pm

Just read that the BBC are going to be filming "Emma" (Austen)
What the heck was wrong with Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma?! I thought she was delightful.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon February 9th, 2009, 11:53 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]What the heck was wrong with Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma?! I thought she was delightful.[/quote]

I think I prefer the one with Kate Beckinsale in it, although I do confess that Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley is toothsome.

About the Victoria and Albert -- it is really well done and goes quite a bit into their marriage and what sort of person he might have been. Beautiful production values.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 10th, 2009, 6:13 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]What AGAIN :rolleyes:

I like Austen but enough already![/quote]

That's exactly what I said (or, rather, shouted when I read about it!). It is a new version, but both versions from the mid-90s were fine (and I liked Jeremy Northam as well), I know it is a fair while ago now when you think about it (13/14 years:eek :) but there have been so many Austen adaps lately that it's getting a bit repetitive :(

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue February 10th, 2009, 6:49 pm

If you put the two Emmas from 1996 together you'd get a really great film. The Miramax had some problems, but is still really good. The main issues with the BBC version are playing Knightley wrong (long live Jeremy Northam's Knightley) and the fact that it was way too short to do the story justice.

It is kind of annoying right now with so many being redone. I promise I'll wait a while before filming any Austen novels myself. ;)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue February 10th, 2009, 6:52 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]That's exactly what I said (or, rather, shouted when I read about it!). It is a new version, but both versions from the mid-90s were fine (and I liked Jeremy Northam as well), I know it is a fair while ago now when you think about it (13/14 years:eek :) but there have been so many Austen adaps lately that it's getting a bit repetitive :( [/quote]

Agreed. It would be nice to see something other than P&P (The Colin Firth one is still the best), or S&S or Emma being produced. There's only two versions of Northanger Abbey, neither one of which I like much, and I seriously doubt that the version of Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds can be topped. I see that there's going to be another version of Oliver Twist out next week on PBS, and I've heard rumours that we're to finally see Little Dorrit as well.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”