Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Whats the difference in titles?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun February 8th, 2009, 6:38 pm

With the Welsh it gets very muddy indeed. Princes were called Tywysog, when they ruled a chunk of land. Their wives were called Tywysoges or more commonly Argwlyddes -- Lady. Children of princes were termed lord or lady from what I've seen in the Welsh records of the time.

(Messing about in the Herald's office in the SCA gives you plenty of useless info... ;)

Boutell's Heraldry or Arthur Fox-Davies' books usually have a section on titles and how they were used, and how the holders were addressed.

Now if I could just unscramble Russian titles during the tsarist period...

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun February 8th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Ok here are some Russian ones.

Prince- during the 18th century it meant a male descendant of the emperor. Complicated rules kept getting more complicated.

Princess (knyaginya)- wife of a prince.

Princess (knizhna)- daughter of a prince.

More to follow.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 8th, 2009, 10:46 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]With the Welsh it gets very muddy indeed. Princes were called Tywysog, when they ruled a chunk of land. Their wives were called Tywysoges or more commonly Argwlyddes -- Lady. Children of princes were termed lord or lady from what I've seen in the Welsh records of the time.

(Messing about in the Herald's office in the SCA gives you plenty of useless info... ;)

Boutell's Heraldry or Arthur Fox-Davies' books usually have a section on titles and how they were used, and how the holders were addressed.

Now if I could just unscramble Russian titles during the tsarist period...[/quote]

Messing about in any office in the SCA gives you plenty of useless info. I've actually considered a Welsh persona. But I have a fondness for names that can't be documented. :D

Volgadon, I look forward to more info on the Russian titles.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed February 11th, 2009, 2:09 pm

I'm a nerd for charts and found this nice little chart of the appropriate titles used in various countries. The Jane Austen site, Pemberley.com also supplies a nice, clear explanation of honorifics used in Austen's day. The first link I provided also links to this articlewhich explains military rankings, but if you scroll down you'll find an extensive explanation of feudal hierarchy.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Wed February 11th, 2009, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Questions and Research”