Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed February 4th, 2009, 11:48 pm

That's so sad, LCW. I hope you find another puppy.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu February 5th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, about the puppy. Hopefully it'll work out with this breeder and one of the males will be right for me. If it does you all know that I'll be posting tons of pics!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Thu February 5th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Down in the dumps about the whole getting published thing. It usually doesn't bother me much, but today was bad for some reason. Maybe it's the rain....
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri February 6th, 2009, 1:19 am

CUBASE! I hate this program!! (Rant follows) What kind of idiots would design a program with no automatic backup, that creates extra attached files that come unlinked and get lost at the slightest excuse, making the whole unusable!!!

I just lost six hours of work on a presentation I am scrambling to get ready for the California Renaissance Symposium, which starts Friday. I have been struggling to re-do it all day, half the time while jiggling baby.

Julianne, the only good thing today is the rain. If we don't get more, hay prices will go to $20 a bale. But cheer up about the publishing thing. By next year, the new paradigm will be a little clearer, and you'll probably have more options. The trick is not to get your hopes invested in 'the way things were'.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri February 6th, 2009, 2:38 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your presentation MLE. I know how frustrating losing work can be :mad:

And Julianne, don't be sad!!!! Publishers are still buying - just look at PM! There may be a short lull right now in mega seven figure advances, but when your second novel is done, the timing should be perfect for making the rounds again!!!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri February 6th, 2009, 6:33 am

MLE--I'm so sorry about your presentation! I know how hard it is to do anything while juggling a baby. And yes, I know the rain is a good thing.

Where and what is the CA Renaissance Symposium?

Michelle--thanks for the pep talk! You always cheer me up. :)
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri February 6th, 2009, 2:21 pm

I feel better except my sinus' explode every 5 minutes in sneezing fits that leave my breathless (not in the good way) and dizzy from lack of what shall I call..... it oxygen!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri February 6th, 2009, 3:27 pm

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]
Where and what is the CA Renaissance Symposium?
:) [/quote]

It's a conference for re-enactors, two days of classes and activities to help them put on a better show. It's been going on for about ten years, used to be in San Jose, but for the last two it's been in Modesto. That location seemed to be easier for people to get to, since they come from all over.
The people who put it on are pretty exacting, and they want the participants of their faires to know their renaissance history.

Here's their site.
Since you know my name, you'll see my class if you look at the schedule.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat February 7th, 2009, 7:32 am

Hottest day since records began here in Melbourne. Lots of bushfires and quite a lot of homes lost already.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat February 7th, 2009, 10:11 am

Feel for you Marg! We have had hot dry winds here. The dust/sand has hung like a haze over the place. My veggies are ruined, my roses are crispy, and my face feels sandblasted!

I ahve not heard of any fires here, so far we have been lucky in the heat.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Return to “Chat”