Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Signora da Vinci by Robin Maxwell

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat January 31st, 2009, 7:23 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I havent read it yet. I didnt win any of the 1,000 copies being offerened. :p

Anyway I'm waiting to see if the library gets it.[/quote]

I saw it in Costco this morning, but I already had a copy and I am currently reading it. I haven't gotten very far yet though.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Sun February 1st, 2009, 9:55 pm

Yay, I found it! It was under the seat of the car.

Back to reading.....
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun February 1st, 2009, 10:03 pm

I'm glad you found the book, Julianne. I just finished my school work for the weekend (Actually a teacher's work is never done; I'm just not doing any more today!) and I am also going back to reading Signora da Vinci.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 12:32 am

I'm finding myself in the minority here, I was doing quite well until about page 250 and I've had to set it aside things have got quite dull - let alone the believability factor in how easily she walked in to a man's role and best friends with Medici (yeah he's a hunk) just like that. I'm starting something else and will try again later.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 12:43 am

[quote=""Misfit""]- let alone the believability factor in how easily she walked in to a man's role and best friends with Medici (yeah he's a hunk) just like that. I'm starting something else and will try again later.[/quote]

Actually I am having some trouble with that also. I'm not as far as you, but I will probably continue onward with the book.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 12:54 am

[quote=""Susan""]Actually I am having some trouble with that also. I'm not as far as you, but I will probably continue onward with the book.[/quote]

Whew! It's usually just me all the time glad I'm not alone :o :rolleyes:

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 9:30 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I'm finding myself in the minority here, I was doing quite well until about page 250 and I've had to set it aside things have got quite dull - let alone the believability factor in how easily she walked in to a man's role and best friends with Medici (yeah he's a hunk) just like that. I'm starting something else and will try again later.[/quote]

I seem to be attracting books with this plot device at the moment. I am currently reading three books, and all of them have girls dressed as boys for some period of time at least.

Whether it could really happen is completely unlikely but I ccan live with that. Having said that I have had to put it down to get a library book read in time, but I will be going back to it.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 2:10 pm

The masquerading as a man bit didn't bother me too much (although I wondered about how she p***ed into that horn and stuck it back in a pocket without rinsing and it didn't stink? :eek :) . It's more the way he fell into being best friends with Lorenzo and his group of scholars. Might be I'm not scholarly enough, I found some of their high minded conversations putting me to sleep :) :o

I'll try again, but so far I'm finding myself in agreement with the three star reviewer at Amazon.

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 2:56 pm

I realize that the whole horn thing was a little out there, but is there a way you can overlook the things that aren't quite so believable for the sake of a good and entertaining story? Isn't that the beauty of fiction?

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”