Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed January 28th, 2009, 10:51 pm

that sounds interesting and I have it on my tbb (to be bought) list, what are some historically accurate books on Lady Jane, if you don't mind me asking.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 29th, 2009, 12:48 am

[quote=""nona""]that sounds interesting and I have it on my tbb (to be bought) list, what are some historically accurate books on Lady Jane, if you don't mind me asking.[/quote]

Do you mean nonfiction? There aren't that many printed in the last few decades to be honest, most the biographies I have on her date from the 1800s and the early 1900s and aren't very accurate. But Alison Weir's "The Children of Henry VIII" covers Lady Jane and that's fairly accurate.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:14 am

Anna Jacobs' "Calico Road", a classic "Ee, lass" Victorian 'mills and moors' melodrama, set in Lancashire. A satisfying story with all the usual elements, poor but courageous battlers pitted against wicked mill-owners with brutal henchmen, ghosts, a family secret. Will the villians get their come-uppance at he end and the battlers have a HEA ending? Perfect when accompanied by a cup of tea and chocolate biscuits :)
Last edited by annis on Thu January 29th, 2009, 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Now reading The Lady Chapel, by Candace Robb. Murder and mayhem in 14th-century York.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri January 30th, 2009, 12:55 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Do you mean nonfiction? There aren't that many printed in the last few decades to be honest, most the biographies I have on her date from the 1800s and the early 1900s and aren't very accurate. But Alison Weir's "The Children of Henry VIII" covers Lady Jane and that's fairly accurate.

SM[/quote]

thanks, I'll have to read it, I found her story really interesting, and she such a strong girl.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:55 pm

finished up Secret Life of Josephine, good story, I was warned before I read it that it took alot of liberties so I expected it to be entertaining rather then a serious read.

I'm going to read my first Victoria Holt next, The Devil on Horseback, I'll start it in the next day or so.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat January 31st, 2009, 10:33 am

Reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat January 31st, 2009, 3:57 pm

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat January 31st, 2009, 6:10 pm

Now on to A Dangerous Affair, by Caro Peacock.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun February 1st, 2009, 6:02 am

Finally got hold of a copy of Lion Feuchtwanger's "Josephus', the first volume of his Josephus trilogy about the Jewish historian. It's very well-written and absorbing-- I hadn't actually realised what a large part Josephus himsel played in bringing about the First Jewish- Roman War of 66-73.

Major gripe- this is an old copy obtained through the library interloan service and some despicable previous borrower has felt that their translation is better than the original and written it all over the book in pencil. Grrr!

Also reading and drooling over Christopher Wood's sumptuous (and huge) non-fiction book "Victorian Painting"

Return to “Archives”