Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

have you ever travelled to a place...

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

have you ever travelled to a place...

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu January 29th, 2009, 11:44 pm

because youd read about it in a historical fiction book?

for me, I once went to reggio di calabria in the toe of italy because i liked the description in the italian canton "orlando innamorato" by matteo borado. he described the "fanta morgana" or mirage that is said to occur there of a golden city that appears across the mists. no mirage for us, tho.

I know a guy who loved the description of the sky in war and peace after the battle of austerlitz, when a character was lying on his back looking at the stars. he took a picture of the sky there and made it his screen saver.

anyone else?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 29th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Well not HF, but I read Little Women and always wanted to go to Orchard House, the house LMA used as a backdrop for her famous story. Not exotic, but still cool to me. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri January 30th, 2009, 12:01 am

I can't think offhand of a place I've visited because I read about it in HF, but I've become intrigued by various places I've read about in other novels, and I've sought them out because of that. I've done my own Dickens tour of London, for instance. (Any Bleak House fans here want to know where the graveyard that Lady Dedlock visits in London is? I can tell you!)
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri January 30th, 2009, 12:39 am

After reading Penman's Welsh trilogy, I knew that I had to go to Wales. We did, that next summer, as part of our British trip.

It wasn't planned, but we did visit Alcotts home in Concord. Little Women was my favorite childhood read. We were in Boston for family events, and we decided to go to Concord and voila! I was delightfully surprised not only to find the house, but to find a very lovely special printing of the book.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri January 30th, 2009, 1:31 am

I haven't managed to yet, but I want to, and there are places that I want to go back to because I would have more of an appreciation for the place now than I did when I initially visited them.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri January 30th, 2009, 2:33 am

Sure. Ive been all over the Gold Rush country because of Gwen Bristow's novels, visited the California missions because of Ramona, toured fort Clatsop and the Columbia River route after reading Sacajawea. A childhood read, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, got me interested in seeing that place, and even hiking down the Kaibab Trail. I visited Montreal after reading Shellabarger's Lord Vanity, and one of the reasons I took time off to do a tour of England, Sotland and Wales is because of the scads of HF set there. Of course it covered Oxford and Cambridge, Stratford-on-Avon, Hampton Court, St. James Place, Westminster Cathedral, the Tower of London, Stonehenge, Gretna Green, Edinburgh, Yorkshire, and on and on. Every place was already alive in my mind from one book or another.

It works in the other direction as well. In the case of places that I go because I have business there, I am more likely to pick up an HF novel in that setting.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri January 30th, 2009, 4:53 am

Framlingham Castle, gave me goosebumps.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri January 30th, 2009, 6:55 am

Yes, for starters I had to visit Rosslyn Chapel after reading the Da Vinci Code. When I was reading a book about Anne Boleyn, I visited The Tower of London.
After reading Here Be Dragons last December I'm determined to visit north Wales, but that will have to wait a bit.
After reading several books set in Egypt I want to visit it and that is now planned for next March.

And then the other way around, I visited Normandy and seen the Bayeux Tapestry and am now very eager to start Needle in the Blood.
In september we are planning a trip to Carcassonne and I'm now looking for HF about the Cathars.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri January 30th, 2009, 10:48 am

I've been to Cornwall several times and have managed to visit most of the places mentioned in Du Maurier books - except Frenchman's Creek, which I didn't have time to get to as the weather (yes you guessed it) was lousy! However I've been to Jamaica Inn and driven over Bodmin Moor. I've also been to Lorna Doone country in Devon and looked down on the village where she was shot in the church, and visited most of the towns mentioned in the book. I've been to Stratford-on-Avon several times, Shakespeare isn't really my thing but it's a lovely little town and well worth a visit in its own right.

I've been to the Tower of London but not for a long time (school trip!) and would like to visit Hever Castle (where Anne Boleyn spent a lot of time) at some point. I would also love to go to Carcassonne!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri January 30th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Paris
To name a few: Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, Conciergerie, Eiffel Tower

Return to “General Discussion”