Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old Title-New Title: A Public Service

(including the other many pseudonyms of Eleanor Hibbert)
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Old Title-New Title: A Public Service

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat October 11th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Old Title: Uneasy Lies the Head.
New Title: To Hold the Crown (Henry VII and Elizabeth of York)

Old Title: William's Wife
New Title: The Queen's Devotion (Mary II)

Old Title: Myself My Enemy
New Title: Loyal in Love (Henrietta Maria)

Old Title: The Pleasures of Love
New Title: The Merry Monarch's Wife (Catherine of Braganza)

Old Titles: The Wandering Prince, A Health Unto His Majesty, and Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord
New Title (3 books in 1): The Loves of Charles II (Charles II)

Old Title: Gay Lord Robert
New Title: Lord Robert (Robert Dudley)

Feel free to add more
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat October 11th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Old Title: St. Thomas's Eve
New Title: The King's Confidante (St. Thomas More and Margaret Roper)

Old Title: Katharine, the Virgin Widow; The Shadow of the Pomegranate; The King's Secret Matter
New Title (3 books in 1): Katharine of Aragon

Debra

new titles, new cover art..

Post by Debra » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:12 am

Thanks for the alert! I get so frustrated when I buy a book I already own because the pub's decided to rename it or put on a new cover when they release a new edition!! :confused:

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Thank you, Boswell and Ariadne! I checked my website, and I had a few of these listed separately.

Now, what about Plaidy's 1949 novel Murder Most Royal, about Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard (also titled The King's Pleasure)? Is that the same book as Lady in the Tower, which also deals with Anne Boleyn?

One of the confusing things is that publishers seem to have repackaged Plaidy's novels into series even though she didn't always write them that way. And some of the series overlap, so that I wonder whether a book might be listed in two different series under different titles. For example, there's a "Tudor" series as well as a "Queens of England" series.

Someone has made a great effort to organize these over at Wikipedia, but I am suspicious of the Queens of England series, whose publication dates extend into the 1990s. The last one is dated 1993, the year she died at age 87.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Margaret, figuring out the multiple Plaidy series is especially confusing because she wrote about some well-known characters more than once. Sometimes more than twice.

The novels in the Queens of England series were written as part of a distinct set. All are biographical novels about past queens of England, told in the first person. Lady in the Tower is one of these (and not the same as Murder Most Royal/The King's Pleasure). I believe Wikipedia is correct on the titles and order. Rose Without a Thorn, the final novel, doesn't have as much depth as others she's written.

My copy of Uneasy Lies the Head shows it as being #15 in the Plantagenet Saga, though it was repackaged along with others as part of a (newly titled) "Tudor Saga."

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue January 27th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Thank you for some much needed clarification, Ariadne!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 28th, 2009, 6:22 am

This fan website is very good for series listings, Margaret, though it's no help with the new titles, unfortunately.
http://members.tripod.com/jeanplaidy/id17.htm
Click on any series title link and you'll get synopses of all the books in that series- it's very useful.

Return to “Jean Plaidy”