Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Magna Carta at Reagan Library

Got something of interest to the forum, like giveaways, news, etc.? Post it here!
red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Magna Carta at Reagan Library

Post by red805 » Sat January 24th, 2009, 7:27 pm

The Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley (near Los Angeles) has a copy of the Magna Carta, on loan from Lincoln Cathedral, on exhibit from January 23 to June 20, 2009. I've read that this is one of only four copies in existence, and that only one copy travels out of England. The document from 1215 is part of the library's newest special exhibit - Magna Carta: The Essence of Democracy.

I plan to go see this exhibit. If there's anyone who would like to go along, pm me. Even though I live nearby, I've never been to the Reagan Library. Maybe I thought since I always voted against Reagan, they would charge me extra ;) But the two presidential libraries that I have visited were both facinating, and well worthwhile. So I'm looking forward to this!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat January 24th, 2009, 8:16 pm

It's worth a trip to go see it. I saw the copy at Salisbury Cathedral when I visited England in 2005.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun January 25th, 2009, 12:43 am

Thanks for the update! I'm semi-planning to fly out to LA in May to visit some friends in the evenings and to spend a few days prowling around the Getty Museum on my own. I'd love to drive up to Simi Valley and check out the Magna Carta.

Gotta cash those free Delta miles in!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun January 25th, 2009, 10:09 pm

You really need to know this about how Magna Carta came to be signed!
Sound quality goes off at the end of the clip as it moves onto another one, but the first bit re King John is perfectly lucid. ;)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4juRJP1X0 ... re=related
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 26th, 2009, 1:25 am

We got to see that copy in Lincoln, as well as the other three in existance (I remember London being one, I can't remember the fourth one now). Definately worth seeing.

EC, that was wonderful! When was it done, and are there more of the series on the net to see? (love the line about for 3 long decades, and one very short one....)
Last edited by Ash on Mon January 26th, 2009, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon January 26th, 2009, 1:29 am

[quote=""EC2""]You really need to know this about how Magna Carta came to be signed![/quote]
Funny! Who knew King John was so gullible!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon January 26th, 2009, 7:32 am

Hahaha, very good EC ! Thanks for sharing.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon January 26th, 2009, 7:54 am

[quote=""Ash""]We got to see that copy in Lincoln, as well as the other three in existance (I remember London being one, I can't remember the fourth one now).[/quote]

The four copies are at Lincoln Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral, Palace of Westminster and the British Library in London.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon January 26th, 2009, 9:34 am

[quote=""Alaric""]The four copies are at Lincoln Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral, Palace of Westminster and the British Library in London.[/quote]

I've seen it several times but can't remember where. Definitely the British Library, Lincoln Cathedral and Westminster. I thought I had seen it at Hereford Cathedral - in fact I'm sure I've seen it there, but I suspect it was because it was on loan from somewhere else. Hereford was having an exhibition of the Medieval written word a few years ago.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Mon January 26th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Isn't it funny that when you're thinking about something or someone, it/they seem to suddenly be around every corner. Last night at the Screen Actors Guild awards, James Earl Jones was honored for lifetime achievement, and one of the pictures they showed in the tribute was of him reading to children beside a big sign/picture that said Magna Carta.

Return to “Member Announcements”