Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun January 18th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I don't know if this would actually count as a movie, but PBS today was running one of the Live From the Met performances, this time of Rikard Strauss' Salome, with very modern staging -- very daring, rather debauched, and intense. Not for the younger crowd by any means!

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun January 18th, 2009, 9:52 pm

[quote=""AuntiePam""]
I'm about halfway through Miller's Crossing. The music is gorgeous![/quote]

One of my favourite movies. :D I love the "Danny Boy" scene with Albert Finney on machine gun :p Forget trying to follow the plot just enjoy the ride!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon January 19th, 2009, 4:56 am

I'm watching season two of the Tudors. Its good, but I hate it cause its so dark all the time and its had to see what is going on. More outdoor scenes or better lighting would be useful.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Mon January 19th, 2009, 8:04 am

Yesterday I watched Dead Silence. I thought it was a good scary movie. Reminded me of the good old 70's and 80's bump in the night type. Made me scream 3 or 4 times hehehe.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue January 20th, 2009, 7:27 am

Took my son to see Bolt today. I enjoyed it, but I am not sure that I would be taking a little kid to see it. Lots of explosions and fire etc.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Wed January 21st, 2009, 12:20 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]There's actually very little banging and crashing in it. Like Rocky, it is much more of a deeper personal story than what it looks on face value.[/quote]

From the previews we've seen, I didn't really think it would have bangs and crashes in it - it does look like a personal jounrey movie, and I've read a couple of reviews now which praise Mickey Rourke's acting, so I'm lookig forward to seeing i t on Friday.

The "bangs-and-crashes" is the term we use for movies he wants to see that I wouldn't choose in a pink fit - it doesn't have anything o do with whats actually happening in the movie. My movie term is "kisses-and-giggles" - which was a very peculiar way of referring to "Atonement" :rolleyes:

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 1:19 pm

Appaloosa- good ot great but overall a decent western
Rightous Kill- classic Deniro and Pacino movie, very good not for young ones.
Max Payne- interesting.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 4:26 pm

Hi Nona....I really liked the film "Appaloosa"....I read Parker's "Appaloosa" first...It helped me understand Virgil and Hitch as no nonsense pistoleros with a sense of honour.....The film I thought captured their personalities....no gray areas in this film, black and white....The Alli character could have been more fleshed out....It reminded me of Elmer Kelton's approach to Westerns.....Real people and well paced action and no sensitive new age cowboys....Crowe's 3:10 to Yuma was disappointing,(OTT Special Effects) compared to the original film with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin.....

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 8:04 pm

Chuck it sounds like I would have liked it alot better had I read it first. I liked their sense of respect and honor but Viggio they could have shown a little more story there and Ed Harris and Alli I feel was all wrong, I can't stand a guy to be treated that way and made a fool of like that. 3:10 was ok, not my favorite but I grew up watching Lonesome Dove and John Wayne movies so these new age westerns leave something to be desired in my opinion.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat January 24th, 2009, 5:45 am

Hey Nona....I don't mean to belabor on and on about the strong silent type cowboy....It had to be a hard life to live in those times....I really think there were more Everett and Virgil types in the old west...."Lonesome Dove" a favorite of mine.....Gus and Woodrow what a pair, but the best....Gus is so gabby, funny and deadly and Woodrow Call reminded me of Virgil....no nonsense in denial about his feelings and wound really tight.......The book "Appaloosa" is a quick and very good read and it's sequel "Resolution" will expand a bit on Alli....She is definately a strange one.....

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”