Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu January 8th, 2009, 2:18 pm

I finally received my order with Paullina Simon's Bronze Horseman trilogy. I hope it's good, because I bought all three books.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 8th, 2009, 5:25 pm

The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom
The Various Flavours of Coffee by Anthony Capella
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri January 9th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I can't seem to stop myself; today I bought three books:

Harriet and Isabella, by Patrick O'Brien (about Harriet and Isabella Beecher in the 1870s; it takes place in the neighborhood I used to live in, Brooklyn Heights).

And two more Morland Dynasty books:
The Black Pearl and The Question

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 9th, 2009, 8:07 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]I can't seem to stop myself; today I bought three books:

Harriet and Isabella, by Patrick O'Brien (about Harriet and Isabella Beecher in the 1870s; it takes place in the neighborhood I used to live in, Brooklyn Heights).

And two more Morland Dynasty books:
The Black Pearl and The Question[/quote]

:p :o :)

Kasthu, library library library. If they don't have it ILL (interlibrary loan). I'm saving tons of money.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Fri January 9th, 2009, 8:13 pm

I received three books (arcs), two of which apply for here:
  1. The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland
  2. The Courtier's Secret by Donna Russo Morin
  3. In Great Waters by Kit Whitfield
I hope to read the Maitland first but I'm heading off for a ski weekend and at this point I'm just hoping to survive as it's been a long time since I've been on any real slopes. That and I've had this fear of ski lifts lately. I still have a couple of things I need to pick up and I might just pop into the one ski shop down the street and see if they have any one piece overalls left. :D

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri January 9th, 2009, 9:10 pm

I haven't bought any fiction books in quite a while. But lately I've been buying up lots of dog training books as I've been working with trainers to get my dog's behavior ship shape to add a puppy to our family in a couple of months. They've also seriously cut into my HF reading time. Instead my nose is in some dog book! My fiance has started calling me the dog nazi, lol!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat January 10th, 2009, 12:10 am

[quote=""gyrehead""]I received three books (arcs), two of which apply for here:
  1. The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland
  2. The Courtier's Secret by Donna Russo Morin
  3. In Great Waters by Kit Whitfield
I hope to read the Maitland first but I'm heading off for a ski weekend and at this point I'm just hoping to survive as it's been a long time since I've been on any real slopes. That and I've had this fear of ski lifts lately. I still have a couple of things I need to pick up and I might just pop into the one ski shop down the street and see if they have any one piece overalls left. :D [/quote]

Oooh, the Maitland one looks good! It won't be out here in the US until next September, and it can't come fast enough!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 10th, 2009, 3:33 am

Been out spending gift cards. Bought Mrs. Lincoln by Catherine Clinton, been waiting for this one since last summer when I read Barbara Hambly's Emancipator's Wife. Also picked up My Mistress's Sparrow Is Dead: Great Love Stories, from Chekhov to Munro by Jeffrey Eugenides

Dani
Scribbler

Post by Dani » Sat January 10th, 2009, 5:50 am

I went book shopping today and picked up 2 book from the A.D Series By Brock and Bodie Theone. And Nancy Moser's Washington's Lady

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat January 10th, 2009, 9:13 pm

today I got The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson and The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman (sort of HF in that it involves a crime that goes back 40 years, so nearly long enough ago!).

also got The Queen's Sorrow by Suzannah Dunn.
Last edited by Madeleine on Tue January 13th, 2009, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”