Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 1:32 am

[quote=""LCW""]Oh my!! That's quite a cover!![/quote]

That's a bit tame for some of the Gellis cover's I've come across :) :D :)

Try these two,

Funny thing about Gellis is despite some outrageous covers, she packs so much history and details into her books that I've seen romance readers complain about being bored to death - all history and no romance. Go figure.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 2:33 am

Re: that Gellis cover.

She looks like she is a bit of a panic...she must have something in her eyes. Maybe lots of dust...they do look a bit windblown.

ETA: Or maybe she got bird poo in her eyes!

Anyway, I am glad to read that the Gellis covers are a lot more romantic than her writing. After reading the good reviews, I have been picking them up were I can.
Last edited by Amanda on Sat January 3rd, 2009, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 11:25 am

Do you cover them in brown paper, Misfit, before reading them in public?? ;) :D LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:14 pm

Blimey!
Look at where his knee is and her bosom! Also, I think he's probably checking out her oral capabilities!
Cough, and after that comment, I had better slope off and get back to taking down the Xmas decs!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 1:41 pm

Bought two books with a B&N gift card:

Shadow Country, Peter Matthiessen
His Excellency, Joseph J. Ellis

I have one more gift card, but I think I'm going to save it and buy some books that will be released in the spring.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 2:04 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I don't think the TTG is part of a series, although he has written biographies of Roger Mortimer, Edward III, and Henry IV, which he refers to as a series and which I have read (they're excellent). Here's his list of his books:

http://www.ianmortimer.com/bibliog.htm[/quote]

Thanks for the link Boswellbaxter, I haven't read any book by Ian Mortimer yet but was so attracted by the title (and what was said about the content too ofcourse) I just had to get it. Thanks also for the thumbs up, I'm even more looking forward to read it now :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 2:13 pm

Is he her lover or a dental student checking out her bite?
Re: that Gellis cover.

She looks like she is a bit of a panic...she must have something in her eyes. Maybe lots of dust...they do look a bit windblown.

ETA: Or maybe she got bird poo in her eyes!
Blimey!
Look at where his knee is and her bosom! Also, I think he's probably checking out her oral capabilities!
Cough, and after that comment, I had better slope off and get back to taking down the Xmas decs!
Do you cover them in brown paper, Misfit, before reading them in public?? LOL.
:D :D :D :) :p :o

Great comments all of you. I do plan on reading this one at home where no one can see it and think the worst of me. I'm actually looking forward to reading a Gellis that isn't medieval.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 2:15 pm

Received today:

The Spring of the Ram by Dorothy Dunnett
And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander
A Poisoned Season by Tash Alexander
When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Penman
Time and Chance by Sharon Penman
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 6:23 pm

Bought last night: The Founding, by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. I've joined a reading challenge this year called "Buy One Book and Read It," as a way to support the publishing industry a bit. I've chosen to buy one book each month this year, so The Founding is my January choice.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 11:44 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]A couple of recent Gellis purchases landed today and I had to share this cover for Tanzanite's blog (in case she doesn't have it).

It's the third in what's called her "Heiress series" and deals with the Napoleonic wars and some of it's set in Russia and Portugal. That's all I know.[/quote]

I hadn't seen that one yet - oh my!! I did receive Gellis' A Silver Mirror today from Paperback Swap (based on your review).

Return to “Archives”