Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun December 28th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Starting Why We Suck by Denis Leary, very profane, very funny for nonfiction, and have either The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick or Past Perfect by Susan Isaacs for fiction to choose from.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun December 28th, 2008, 11:30 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm still working on The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer (it goes well when I'm on the treadmill).[/quote]

I have this on my tbr mountain, let me know what you think as I've picked it up then put it down for a library loan or so forth.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon December 29th, 2008, 12:23 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Finishing up Tony Pollard's Minutes of the Lazarus Club and will start Louis Bayard's The Black Tower after I finish the Pollard... ran out of reading material while on break and had to go buy something, and couldn't resist it at 50% off (Barnes & Noble sale).[/quote]

How did you like the Tony Pollard? It was one of those books I bought on a "blind buy" a little while ago and I enjoyed the story. However, some parts of it were a little over the top.

I enjoyed The Black Tower a lot.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon December 29th, 2008, 12:24 am

Yay! I'm no longer a "scribbler" LOL. :-D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon December 29th, 2008, 12:30 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]Yay! I'm no longer a "scribbler" LOL. :-D [/quote]

Wasn't it just yesterday this was a new board and we were all scribblers? Good gravy, time just flies. :o :p

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 29th, 2008, 12:56 am

Currently reading Brian Thompson's immensely entertaining (non-fiction) book
"Imperial Vanities; The Adventures of the Baker Brothers and Gordon of Khartoum"
Victorian high adventure and eccentricity- the British Empire at large.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon December 29th, 2008, 2:02 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]How did you like the Tony Pollard? It was one of those books I bought on a "blind buy" a little while ago and I enjoyed the story. However, some parts of it were a little over the top.

I enjoyed The Black Tower a lot.[/quote]

For me the Pollard was a good but not excellent read. I enjoyed the atmosphere and historical detail, though admit he lost me during some of the long-winded bits about Victorian engineering. (And yep, some sections were way over the top!) Part of the issue, too, was that when you take an ordinary sort of protagonist and place him amid a company of extraordinary minds like Brunel, Darwin, etc., his personality can appear bland in comparison. I thought that was the case here; his narrative voice didn't carry the story for me. On the other hand, I'm only 60pp into Black Tower and already know that's not going to be a problem with this one.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:29 am

finally finished The Thistle and the Rose, I found that I have no sympathy or affections for Maragaret Tudor and few for the rest of them. She came across as a wanton girl who wanted what she wanted and hell be damned if she wouldn't get her way, that kind of attitude frustrates me to no end but it could be different as this is the only book I've read on her.As to what I will read next I will have to see tomorrow as I need a break tonight, I can say that it wont be Tudor era though.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Redeeming Love

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Finally getting around to reading The Four Queens, the non fiction about the four sisters of Provence who became major movers in Europe of the 1200s. Very well written, and a very fast read. Along with learning about them, I'm also learning about early French history, which I've never picked up.

Return to “Archives”