Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series

Post by diamondlil » Sun August 31st, 2008, 1:04 am

I really enjoy this series by Naomi Novik. She has taken the history from the Napoleonic wars and added a twist - all the countries have an air corps, made up of dragons and their crews!

The books in order are:

His Majesty's Dragon (published as Temeraire in some countries)
Throne of Jade
Black Powder War
Empire of Ivory
Victory of Eagles

whitelady3
Scribbler

Post by whitelady3 » Sun August 31st, 2008, 5:26 pm

I just bought the first volume, although I already had the second and third volumes. I can't wait to finally start it!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun August 31st, 2008, 7:59 pm

This is a series that I have been really happy with, and looking forward to seeing what Ms. Novik will come up with next.

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Sun August 31st, 2008, 9:01 pm

I have only read the first two books in this series, but I own them all... Just haven't got around to the others! I was not super impressed with the move to hardcover. I really hate when they do that partway through a series!

Virgulina
Scribbler

Post by Virgulina » Mon September 1st, 2008, 10:27 pm

I thought the idea was truly original but what really kept me going through the first volume was Temeraire, I so wanted a dragon like him. ;)

The author lost me in the battle descriptions though, I couldn't for the life of me follow all the aerial manoeuvres, I think she overdid it a bit and forgot to build an interesting plot otherwise, I got to the end thinking what the point of the story was. I don't think I'm interested enough to pick up the next volume!

Ana

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue December 30th, 2008, 2:21 pm

[quote=""Kailana""]I was not super impressed with the move to hardcover. I really hate when they do that partway through a series![/quote]

I hate it when they do that, too! I've been waiting to read the fifth one until it comes out in paperback (looks like May-09). These aren't great novels, but I find them fun escapist reads. Like sucking on a popsicle on a hot summer day.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:41 pm

I've only read the first one, and enjoyed it. I agree with Virgulina that Temeraire was charming (although I can't say I wanted one as a pet.....). I got on OK with the battle scenes, but I remember being irritated that the existence of dragons and female war heroes (since one of the highly effective dragon breeds will only tolerate a female handler) had apparently not altered Jane Austen's world one iota. I kept thinking, now come on, surely there'd have been some effect on the social structure, not to mention the economy would have had to be different to produce enough livestock to support such enormous carnivores. Yes, I daresay this is missing the point :-)

If I can find my old review I'll cross-post it here in case anyone's interested.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri February 13th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Has anyone heard if there is going to be any more Temeraire books??
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri February 13th, 2009, 1:24 pm

It was my understanding that at least six were planned, so we should be getting at least one more. Her website and LiveJournal probably have more about works-in-process, but I haven't been over there in a long time.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri February 13th, 2009, 9:18 pm

There hasn't really been any mention for a while.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Historical Fantasy”