Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 9:20 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm just about to start Mr Timothy by Louis Bayard.[/quote]

I really enjoyed that one. I've got a review in my PC archives somewhere. I'll have to look it up.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 2:58 am

hey chuck have you read any of James Duffy, he wrote a gladiator series I jusy ordered and am curious what I might be in store for.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 4:16 am

Nona...I have heard nothing but great things about his novels......check with Annis or Margaret....I'm sure one of them has read him and will give you A good review.....Enjoy and have fun......
Last edited by chuck on Tue December 23rd, 2008, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 7:02 am

Sorry to disappoint, Nona, but I haven't actually read them, though they sound good and they've been on my wishlist for some time. Unfortunately they're not available through the inter-library loan service here currently, and I'm trying to be good about not buying any more books for a while as my yearly book budget is sadly overspent.
There's a bit of info about the stories on JD's website, with some audio and video clips.
http://www.gladiatorsoftheempire.com/gladiators.htm

Carla would probably be your best bet, or you could try posting on the
Ancient Greece/Rome thread at the Amazon Historical Fiction Forum- it's pretty likely that someone there might have read the Gladiators of the Empire series
http://www.amazon.com/tag/historical%20 ... 1YIP3Y4AUL

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 1:22 pm

Just finished a non fiction essay/book by Margaret Atwood, Debt: the shadow world of wealth. This is a short easy to read book that looks at our economic world in terms of debt, lending, and the balance between them. Fascinating stuff, certainly something to read for anyone concerned about how we got where we are now. The end is a little bit of a hammer to the head, but that's Atwood. Well worth the read

Now reading the first in the Sister Fidelma series Absolution by Murder
Last edited by Ash on Tue December 23rd, 2008, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Mr Timothy by Louis Bayard

Post by Vanessa » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 2:16 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I really enjoyed that one. I've got a review in my PC archives somewhere. I'll have to look it up.[/quote]

I've only read two chapters so far, but think I'm going to enjoy it. I don't seem to have much time for reading atthe moment.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 5:23 pm

I'm starting on Ariel Rising by Elizabeth Redfern. I only got to read about 20 pages before I was too tired last night but so far the writing seems very good. We'll see!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed December 24th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Finished Vivaldi's Virgins last night. I'm going to move to a different country and to a different art and read The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 24th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Now reading The King's Pleasure by Norah Lofts, about Katherine of Aragon. I know many love Phillipa Gregory, but check this book out along with Concubine, and tell me that Loft doesn't run circles around the more recent author. Well written, well researched, with charcters that you care very much about. I even actually like Henry VIII in this book (as a young man....)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 24th, 2008, 2:28 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Now reading The King's Pleasure by Norah Lofts, about Katherine of Aragon. I know many love Phillipa Gregory, but check this book out along with Concubine, and tell me that Loft doesn't run circles around the more recent author. Well written, well researched, with charcters that you care very much about. I even actually like Henry VIII in this book (as a young man....)[/quote]

I agree--and she does it without the sensation and all of the sex.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Archives”