Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Historical Movies

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu November 13th, 2008, 4:00 pm

I would imagine Mark Lester will be seeing £££££££££s in his eyes, that will be lure enough! Odd choice of actor, I must admit.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu November 13th, 2008, 4:20 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oliver star Mark Lester will play King Harold in a rival movie.

The project, written by Robin Jacob and historical novelist Helen Hollick, is the culmination of over four years of historical research and script development.[/quote]

Good to see some progress here. I've been hearing about this planned film for a couple of years - and they haven't even started shooting yet so it could quite a while till we see it. Can't wait to see what they've done (or will have done) with Helen's novel...

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 1st, 2008, 4:24 pm

In researching my current book, I saw some press releases announcing John Boorman has revitalized his desire to bring Yourcenar's Memoirs of Hadrian to the screen. Original gossip was that Banderas might play the role, but it appears to be official that Daniel Craig has been chosen to play the part of Hadrian with a tentative release date in 2010. Charlie Hunnam from Queer as Folk has reportedly been cast as Antinous.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon December 1st, 2008, 6:14 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]He was so cute in Oliver though![/quote]
"Please, sir, I want more England"

I don't think I'd be able to lose the waif to the warrior! Interesting casting though. I'm sure I'll go see it.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 1st, 2008, 6:24 pm

It looks like "Rome", which was on HBO for 2 season maybe coming back on the big screen:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... topstories

If it does maybe Kevin Mckidd (see article) may come back, as it said we never did see him actually dead on the show, so who knows.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 4:29 pm

An article from yesterday's paper on the three forthcoming Hollywood movies on the events leading up to the Norman Conquest of England. As the user comments on the article state, this doesn't include a fourth British-made movie based on the Helen Hollick book that is also being made.

It says that the three Hollywood movies all take the stance that William and Harold were originally comrades that had a falling-out...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 375566.ece

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 9:30 pm

I left a comment this morning about the 1066 movie that Helen Hollick's involved in, but they haven't published it - don't know why. I wasn't rude, just assertive. :(
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]An article from yesterday's paper on the three forthcoming Hollywood movies on the events leading up to the Norman Conquest of England. As the user comments on the article state, this doesn't include a fourth British-made movie based on the Helen Hollick book that is also being made.

It says that the three Hollywood movies all take the stance that William and Harold were originally comrades that had a falling-out...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 375566.ece[/quote]

Well ya wait for nearly 1,000 years and then three come along all at once! :D

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:49 pm

BTW, I happened across this book on my shelves and realized it would be perfect here:

Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies. This book is a collection of essays by the likes of Stephen Jay Gould, Antonia Fraser, Simon Schama, Gore Vidal, about how history is portrayed in movies and what is the real story. Its old - 1996 - and I wish they'd do a sequel. But here are essays about Birth of a Nation, Apollo 13, Glory, Mississipi Burning, Hester Street, Henry the 5 and Nixon, and many more. Well worth reading. (and thinking about it, I may need to reread it, since many of the movies I didn't know about at the time I do now!)

http://www.amazon.com/Past-Imperfect-Hi ... 0805037608
Last edited by Ash on Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 7th, 2009, 2:24 am

Just saw an ad for "The Last Templar" on NBC on Jan 25th, starring Mira Sorvino.

Unfortunately it's on the same night as the Screen Actor Guild Awards (SAGS), so if I'm able I'll have to DVR it.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Wed January 7th, 2009, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”