Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri December 19th, 2008, 1:17 am

I decided to leave the Britain and head over to continental Europe to a place I usually don't read about and I wound up in Venice in the midst of Vivaldi's Virgins.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri December 19th, 2008, 1:49 pm

I have begun to read and am enjoying Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean by Edward Kritlzer.

Non-fiction. A bright 11 year old could handle the prose.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri December 19th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I'm actually not reading anything! I had good intentions and planned to start The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart, but with trying to pack up the rental in Indiana (hubby is moving to Denver at the end of the month; daughter is staying in Indiana with a relative), puppy sitting and the holidays, there just doesn't seem to be much time for reading. I'm hoping to make up for it though on the 16 hour drive to Denver.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri December 19th, 2008, 7:17 pm

I just started reading the behemoth novel Drood. I'm only about 20 pages in, but enjoying it so far. The voice Simmons creates for Wlikie Collins sounds exactly like something out of one of his novels.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 9:47 am

Just started "Depths" by Henning Mankell (of Wallander fame), set during WW1 - it's all very gloomy and Swedish but compelling nevertheless...

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sat December 20th, 2008, 1:24 pm

I just finished Julian's Cell by Ralph Milton. I really enjoyed it, and am glad that I read it. It was very thought-provoking. I became fascinated by Julian of Norwich when I read The Illuminator. And Julian also had had a brief appearance in Anya Seton's Katherine. Until I read that book, I had never even heard the term anchorite. Because of this fascination I ordered Julian's Cell, even though I expected it to be rather dry reading. Mr. Milton refers to the book as "an earthy story of Julian of Norwich" and indeed it was, and very readable.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat December 20th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Getting a running start on The Far Pavilions. I blush to admit it, but I have never read it before.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 20th, 2008, 1:43 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Getting a running start on The Far Pavilions. I blush to admit it, but I have never read it before.[/quote]

:) I'm going to have to drag this one out soon. I've read it twice but I had best read it for the January discusions. After all, it was me who started it.

Nothing on the pile has interested me and I can't get to the library so I'm rereading Bristow's Calico Palace and then EC's The Winter Mantle.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 6:05 pm

[quote=""lindymc""]I just finished Julian's Cell by Ralph Milton. I really enjoyed it, and am glad that I read it. It was very thought-provoking. I became fascinated by Julian of Norwich when I read The Illuminator. And Julian also had had a brief appearance in Anya Seton's Katherine. Until I read that book, I had never even heard the term anchorite. Because of this fascination I ordered Julian's Cell, even though I expected it to be rather dry reading. Mr. Milton refers to the book as "an earthy story of Julian of Norwich" and indeed it was, and very readable.[/quote]

How funny, I was just thinking today that someone should write a book about her! Thanks for the ref :D *scurries off to Amazon*

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sat December 20th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Like Susan above, I have ended up in Venice: I'm reading The Four Seasons by Laurel Corona. So far I'm enjoying it, although I've had to be more pick-up/put-down with it than I'd like (busy week). It actually involves the same convent as Barbara Quick's book Vivaldi's Virgins and even Vivaldi himself. I've read Vivaldi's Virgins, but that was over a year ago when it first came out, so I can't really compare the two.

Rosalind Laker's Venetian Mask also revolves around the convent of the Pieta, and as it turns out, was recently re-released in paperback. That one I've not read. It might be Venetian overload. :)
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Return to “Archives”