Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Mon December 15th, 2008, 5:02 pm

I saw Australia this weekend. I thought it was great! I'm not sure why the reviews are so mixed. The beginning started off a bit silly but overall I really enjoyed it. That little boy was just too adorable!!! My fiance was literally in tears. First time ever at a movie!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 15th, 2008, 5:59 pm

[quote=""nona""]stigmata, one of my favorite Gabriel Brynes actually.[/quote]

Yes, it's one of my faves too. I used to have a huge crush on him around the time he did this and "End of Days", he wore the same long black coat in both movies.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue December 16th, 2008, 1:07 am

The 1st "Chronicles of Narnia" movie on ABC Family

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat December 20th, 2008, 2:55 am

"Mamma Mia!", I liked it and while I love Pierce Brosnan and like Colin Firth a lot, I wish they found actors who were better singers.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 20th, 2008, 3:03 am

I watched The Santa Clause II last night - so now I have seen the whole series in the last few weeks.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 9:51 am

[quote=""LCW""]I saw Australia this weekend. I thought it was great! I'm not sure why the reviews are so mixed. The beginning started off a bit silly but overall I really enjoyed it. That little boy was just too adorable!!! My fiance was literally in tears. First time ever at a movie![/quote]

I think the beef people have with this movie is about - yes you guessed it - historical accuracy.

I haven't seen it so I can't comment on how good it is as a movie, but Germaine Greer wrote an article in the (UK) Guardian about it this week, which was basically a long list of all the things it got wrong...and what really happened. I must say, it kinda put me off, but will definitely get round to it when it comes out on DVD. :cool:

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 20th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Germaine Greer has a reputation in Australia for trying to pull down every other successful Aussie - she definitely seems to have an agenda!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 12:42 pm

I never listen to the pundits because they're nearly always up their own fundaments. Self and dh have frequently loved films that have been panned, but then I guess, to paraphrase A.A. Milne, we are bears of very little wit. I'm looking forward to seeing Australia. It's on my film TBR.

I've just watched The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic - made for TV. Starring David Jason and Sean Astin. Great fun, especially Cohen the Barbarian!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat December 20th, 2008, 1:02 pm

we watched the new Mummy movie, didn't really care for it. Afterwards we made puppy chow and snacked on that while watching P&P, the one with K. Knightley

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat December 20th, 2008, 1:07 pm

[quote=""nona""]we watched the new Mummy movie, didn't really care for it. Afterwards we made puppy chow and snacked on that while watching P&P, the one with K. Knightley[/quote]

The new Mummy film is on my film TBR - so we'll see. I enjoyed the P&P Kiera K. version. Decided I was never going to read the book, so I'd watch the film. Nona, what's puppy chow????
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”