Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What is the Best Depiction of Christmas in Literature?

Christina
Reader

What is the Best Depiction of Christmas in Literature?

Post by Christina » Fri December 19th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Dickens always comes to mind for his depictions of Christmas. My favourite Christmas scene isn't Tiny Tim's family, but the wonderful party at Mr. Fezziwig's. As a child, I always wanted to roll up the carpet and have a similar celebration but it didn't really work :D
What is your favourite Christmas scene from a novel?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri December 19th, 2008, 2:06 pm

There's a great Christmas scene in The Pickwick Papers also.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri December 19th, 2008, 4:52 pm

I always loved the Christmases Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about. I think my favorite is one of the early ones, from Little House on the Prairie:

“Laura and Mary never would have looked in their stockings again. The cups and the cakes and the candy were almost too much. They were too happy to speak.
But Ma asked if they were sure the stockings were empty.

Then they put their hands down inside them, to make sure.

And in the toe of each stocking was a shining, bright new penny!

They had never thought of such a thing as having a penny. Think of having a whole penny for your very own. Think of having a cup and a cake and a stick of candy and a penny.

There never had been such a Christmas.”

(Little House on the Prairie, p. 250)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri December 19th, 2008, 10:37 pm

I was thinking you'd probably have to separate American and English Christmas scenes, but seeing how many of our traditions and images come from English christmas via Dickens, not sure it matters...

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri December 19th, 2008, 11:35 pm

I like the scenes from "Little Women".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 20th, 2008, 12:04 am

Sherry at Semicolon blog has been posting Christmas extracts from a number of novels for the last couple of weeks.

The authors include Sharon Kay Penman, Ann Rinaldi and settings are varied as well.

If you are interested in taking a look then click here.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sat December 20th, 2008, 12:48 pm

When I first started teaching, back in the '60s, I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to my fifth graders. I still remember their astounded, actually shocked, reaction to that description of the Christmas that MLE referred to. Mostly it all boiled down to "That's all??!!!" And perhaps even more unbelievable to those children was the joy and excitement that Laura and Mary expressed over what was, to my students, a very insignificant gift.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Sat December 20th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I always remember the Christmas scenes from Little House on the Prairie, too. I've been thinking I need to reread those books again. I was always sad my own daughter never wanted to read them.

My favorite depiction of the Christmas spirit (in fact, I'm just about to blog about it) is O.Henry's short story, "The Gift of the Magi." Here's a link; if you've never read it, give yourself a gift and do so. It's very short, but wonderful.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 20th, 2008, 11:58 pm

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]
My favorite depiction of the Christmas spirit (in fact, I'm just about to blog about it) is O.Henry's short story, "The Gift of the Magi." Here's a link; if you've never read it, give yourself a gift and do so. It's very short, but wonderful.[/quote]

That is indeed a lovely story, and one that got me hooked on O Henry. BTW another of interest is The Other Wise Man

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Other-Wise- ... 0345406958

I have been 'forced' to read various Christmas books over the years for book groups. The above two so evoke the holidays message that there is almost no need for more.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun December 21st, 2008, 4:25 am

I find "The Gift of the Magi" almost unbearably sad.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Chat”