Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue December 16th, 2008, 8:34 am

[quote=""Leyland""]Was it an illicit affair? Perhaps the title should be Loving Frank Lloyd Wrong. ;) [/quote]

Oh, quite illicit! Tho I will say its more than that; the author does a good job explaining his architecture in ways I never thought of. We have his Grady Gammage here, a huge and quite lovely building near Az State University, and have enjoyed concerts and plays in the very accoustically perfect theatre. Other than that I've never had much interest. Now I'd like very much to see Talesin, and West Talesin which isn't all that far away from where I live. The book is also about the time period as it concerns the women's suffraget movment. So its more than a steamy love affair - tho that part has its appeal!

Here's a link to some photos of the building. Unfortunately, way too many of the same pictures of the outside, and none of the beautiful interior! Oh well, you'll get the idea.

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/arizona_gammage.htm
Last edited by Ash on Tue December 16th, 2008, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue December 16th, 2008, 9:14 am

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Now I'd like very much to see Talesin, and West Talesin which isn't all that far away from where I live
That was very cool, I enjoyed the tour there. You'll cringe when they tell you how much he paid for the land all those years ago....

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Tue December 16th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Tue December 16th, 2008, 9:11 pm

A Company of Liars (a novel of the plague) by Karen Maitland

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed December 17th, 2008, 5:52 am

King's Gold, by Arturo Perez-Reverte....Another Captain Alatriste novel that takes place in Seville Spain, 1626.....

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed December 17th, 2008, 6:56 am

I've finished "Blood Rites: Dresden Files #6" by Jim Butcher, another good entry in the series.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Wed December 17th, 2008, 8:26 am

Finished Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran now onto a totally different genre altogether: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed December 17th, 2008, 11:42 am

I'm back in the present day now, with "Agatha Raisin and Kissing Christmas Goodbye", a light-hearted murder mystery.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed December 17th, 2008, 6:52 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Now reading Loving Frank, the story of Frank Lloyd Wrights love affair with a client of his. I am not a big fan of his, but I am of his time period, and this book, written through the eyes of his lover, is quite good.[/quote]

I'm not sure if this would be considered a historical film or not but since you mentioned reading this book, I saw this item and thought I'd post it:

Frank Lloyd Wright Biopic Planned

16 December 2008 11:21 PM, PST

Legendary American architect Frank Lloyd Wright is to be immortalized in a new biopic.

Filmmakers are planning a movie adaptation of Nancy Horan's novel Loving Frank, and have hired Reservation Road writer John Burnham Schwartz to pen a screenplay.

The story will centre around Wright's relationship with Chicago society queen Mamah Borthwick Cheney, leading up to her murder, when a servant set fire to the couple's Wisconsin home in 1914.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Archives”