Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What makes us choose . . .

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun December 7th, 2008, 10:52 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]My "favourite era" is the age of discovery/enlightenment and I mainly read stuff within that era. I've no idea why, perhaps because it has such an influence on the way the world is now with the empires. I find books about the warfare of the era - the brightly coloured uniforms, big banners, navies, muskets and cannon - fascinating. Plus the people! Voltaire, Mozart, Moliere, Louis XIV, Peter the Great, Frederick the Great, Wellington, Marlborough, Napoleon ... I could go on forever.[/quote]

I had a history teacher who totally RUINED that era for me :mad:

Mine is ancient Egypt and the Tudors.

Ancient Egypt because of the rights women had back then and the powerful female royals. I also was told I was Cleopatra VII in a previous life- and I believe it- it explains a lot of things about me.

The Tudors because it's just one big soap opera!

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon December 8th, 2008, 7:12 am

[quote=""AuntiePam""]Any church, or just the ones that look like cathedrals?

With me, it's cemeteries. My daughter shares my fascination, and whenever we travel together, we manage to visit at least one.[/quote]

No, just any church apparently !! So much even that they thought I might want to become a nun when I grew up ! But it didn't happen ! :D :D

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon December 8th, 2008, 9:57 am

I enjoy all periods in time. I did seem to be reading quite a few books set during the Napoleonic wars recently so I was glad to move on to another time!! I like the Victorian era and also the 1920s fascinate me, although I'm not sure whether that is something to do with their clothes!! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon December 8th, 2008, 10:17 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]My husband and I had one of our first dates at a cemetery--to see the grave of Dorothy Parker's husband in Richmond, Virginia. (Dorothy herself, of course, wouldn't be caught dead in the place.)[/quote]

My fiancee and I had a date in a cemetary. Wed discovered that be both liked going to cemetaries, not anything morbid, but because they can be so interesting. Her hometown is the one Chekhov wrote Ionych about
and one of the scenes takes place in the cemetary at night, but despite quite an effort on our part we couldn't find the tomb of the Italian actress.

Jen Black
Scribbler

Thanks

Post by Jen Black » Mon December 8th, 2008, 11:03 pm

>No treading on toes! Welcome to the board Jen!

Thanks for the welcome. This looks like a good place to talk hisotrical fiction.
Jen

Jen Black
http://www.jenblackauthor.blogspot.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon December 8th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Speaking of cemetaries...

When I moved to where I live now in NY, I kept up my fascination with genealogy, and I found out where some of my maternal ancestors came from -- about 15 miles from where I live now! I found their gravestone in the cemetary of that town, and it was a very odd sensation to be standing there in front of my several times great grandparents, and knowing that I was seeing things and places that hadn't changed much from their time. (not everywhere on the east side of the Hudson is paved over)

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue December 9th, 2008, 12:15 am

Yes, that's how I feel too. There's a wonderful poem by Tolkien called I sit and think which always calls to me in this vein.
EC, that's one of my favorite poems!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri December 12th, 2008, 10:08 pm

As a wee child who's father was a rancher/cowboy I thought it would be grand to have something else to dream about. I remember riding my pony and practising jousting for the fall festival and pretending to sword fight with a branch. Since then my tastes have matured, are broader in time frame and I gave up my painted wooden lance for a bookmark and traded my pony for an suv with two car seats. Of Course I did get my Knight in shining armour and I married him so it all worked out.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sat December 13th, 2008, 1:04 am

Also just joined the board - I tend to "lurk" more than post in various boards.

I was heavily influenced by my English/History teacher (she was thrilled to find someone who read "for fun", and constantly leant me books from her own colections), so my favourite periods of history are Ancient Egyptian, Roman, and English 1066-Oliver Cromwell. But within that 600+ years of English history, the Plantagenet time (mostly becuase of Robin Hood :p ) is a particular obessission.

Oh, and I also love graveyard/cemetaries. The family history you can trace through the ones in small country towns is just fascinating.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 13th, 2008, 1:25 am

Welcome to the board Ejays17! I hope you do more than lurk here! ;)
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “General Discussion”