Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

What are you reading?

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon August 25th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Witch Queen by Maureen Peters

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon August 25th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Re-reading "Time and Chance" by Sharon Kay Penman before "The Devil's Brood" arrives.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon August 25th, 2008, 6:57 pm

The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss. It's an advance review copy; the book goes on sale at the end of September.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 25th, 2008, 7:08 pm

I finished "Was Napoleon Poisoned? and Other Unsolved Mysteries of Royal History" by Peter Haugen. Despite some annoying typos here an there, I found it very interesting and humourous in bits.

SM

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon August 25th, 2008, 7:23 pm

still grinding through Time and Chance. Not the most gripping work SKP has written. Also reading Flashman and the Redskins, my first venture into the Flashman series, and it's a riot. The sheer political incorrectness is both jaw-dropping and hilarious.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon August 25th, 2008, 8:21 pm

I am reading Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong, Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong and listening to Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

It is very unusual for me to read the same author two books in a row, let alone two books by the same author at the same time but it has just happened by coincidence this time!

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Mon August 25th, 2008, 8:48 pm

If You Could See Me Now - Cecelia Ahern.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 25th, 2008, 9:30 pm

[quote=""MLE""]still grinding through Time and Chance. Not the most gripping work SKP has written. Also reading Flashman and the Redskins, my first venture into the Flashman series, and it's a riot. The sheer political incorrectness is both jaw-dropping and hilarious.[/quote]

I've never got into Flashman, but my husband has the same response as you. He really relishes them. I always know what to get for his birthday!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 25th, 2008, 9:33 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss. It's an advance review copy; the book goes on sale at the end of September.[/quote]

I'm getting that one soon from Amazon Vine. Looking forward to it.

I'm going to start The Tiger's Woman by Celeste De Blasis today.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon August 25th, 2008, 10:37 pm

I'm still on page 40 of Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks but intend to get back into it very soon. Doncha just hate when life interrupts a good book?
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “Archives”