Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat November 29th, 2008, 2:18 am

I keep saying I'm going to buy the Last Queen but I'm always distracted by Plaidy, Chawick and Penman. they pop up on my amazon reccommendations and I end up getting those or others that caught my eye a year ago and are cheaper now. One day soon though...

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Sat November 29th, 2008, 5:20 pm

i just finished graceling by kristin cashore.
it is YA fantasy and i recommend it. old school
fantasy, not contemporary.

now, i think i'll go back to the name of the
winde by rothfuss. it's gotten great reviews
as epic fantasy.
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat November 29th, 2008, 6:42 pm

I've finished "An Ice Cold Grave: Harper Connelly Mystery #3" by Charlaine Harris, it was good but a bit more disturbing then the last 2 books.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat November 29th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Ordinary Heros by Scott Turow. My sis put this in my hands as soon as I came to her house for tday, with a 'you must read this!' expression on her face. Started it this morning, and so far I am quite enthralled. About a man who discoveres information about his father's past during WWII and goes hunting for more. Very well written.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 30th, 2008, 1:05 am

I borrowed that book from the library at one point, but had to take it back unread. I do intend to borrow it again at one point.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun November 30th, 2008, 2:21 am

I'm planning on starting Daughter of York by Anne Easter Smith tomorrow.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun November 30th, 2008, 3:59 am

Just finished Poldark. I enjoyed it much more, actually! a little slower-paced than the current fashion, but what a wealth of accurate detail on 18th-century Cornwall! I entirely forgot all the economics of mining, the class issues, and so forth! I guess when I first read it I mostly remembered the romance.

Now I'm going to have to get Demelza again. I do remember the mine going broke in that one, it made me feel so sorry for everyone.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun November 30th, 2008, 4:37 am

I'm about 100 pages into Luis Alberto Urrea's The Hummingbird's Daughter and am attempting to read it while husband & nephew watch a recent Bond movie.

Glad to hear such a good report on Poldark - I just received the first volume (new reprint) from Book Depository. I've never read it before.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun November 30th, 2008, 7:23 am

I've finished ""Graveyards of Chicago: The People, History, Art, and Lore of Cook County Cemeteries" by Ursula Bielski & Matt Hucke. Very interesting to read about what famous people are buried in some of the Chicago cemeteries and seeing the funerary art, some are very fascinating. I wish they had more images though.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun November 30th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Glad you enjoyed Poldark, MLE.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”