Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:22 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Sadly no. After you asked I went and had a look at my 3 Nigella cookbooks (How to be A Domestic Goddess, Feast and How to Eat) but despite my mouth watering at all the chocolate recipes there were (sticky chocolate pudding anyone?), there was no fudge. There's a plain fudge recipe in Domestic Goddess. So perhaps it's in Nigella Express or Nigella Bites, which I haven't got.[/quote]

Actually, that would be because it was a chocolate brownie recipe, and from memory it had a least two different types of chocolate in it, and not a fudge recipe.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:29 pm

I am starting Winterbourne by Susan Carroll. It's set during the reign of King John I think. I usually don't do well with medieval romances (thanks to the wonderful books from EC and Sharon) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:32 pm

That's one of the Susan Carroll books I haven't read yet. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I do like her other books which are set in later times.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:40 pm

Bernard Cornwell's "Azincourt' --at last! I bought it as soon as it came out but nobly let my sons read it first .

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:54 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]That's one of the Susan Carroll books I haven't read yet. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I do like her other books which are set in later times.[/quote]

I'll let you know, just be warned if there's a glaring inaccuracy, i.e. medieval heroine always running around with her hair unbound I'll probably wall bang it :p :)

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon November 24th, 2008, 1:57 am

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. Must be honest- I liked The Heretic Queen better.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon November 24th, 2008, 2:35 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]That's one of the Susan Carroll books I haven't read yet. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I do like her other books which are set in later times.[/quote]

I've just put it aside, not sure if I'll pick it up again - I suspect it will make the list. I don't expect historical accuracy in a romance but this one is taking the cake -- would love to have EC pick this one up for thoughts.

LoisAnn
Reader

Post by LoisAnn » Mon November 24th, 2008, 3:24 am

I'm about 50 pages into Fitzempress' Law, by Diana Norman. This is her first fiction book - and is shaping up to be a good one. I really enjoy her style of writing.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~ Charles de Secondat

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 24th, 2008, 3:29 am

[quote=""LoisAnn""]I'm about 50 pages into Fitzempress' Law, by Diana Norman. This is her first fiction book - and is shaping up to be a good one. I really enjoy her style of writing.[/quote]

Is that about Matilda? I tried to look it up but it came out in 1980 and the cheapest one is a little under $100!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon November 24th, 2008, 7:52 am

[quote=""annis""]Bernard Cornwell's "Azincourt' --at last! I bought it as soon as it came out but nobly let my sons read it first .[/quote]

How is it?

I, as usual, am waiting for the paperback release next year.

Return to “Archives”