Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 6:27 am

Well, finished Apocalypse, very good if a bit dry; managed to get The Uncommon Reader by Bennett in there -- meh!, and have finally gotten into Passage, the third Sharing Knife novel. If you want one heckuva tormented, sexy hero, Dag certainly fits the bill!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 7:55 am

I am not sure that I am not going to have to take it back to the library unread. When I typed that I had read the introductory parts, but now it is overdue and I haven't read any more yet.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 12:00 pm

Just finished A Good War by Patrick Bishop for HNS Review. Will post that review once it's been published in said Review. Basically the story of a Polish pilot's experience of WWII involving manning fighter planes, transports, becoming involved with the beginnings of the SAS and being embroiled in love tangles. Enjoyable 4 stars.
I've to browse my bookshelf today to decide what to pick up next and in the meantime I'm reading 2 cookery books. Nigella Lawson's Feast (from which I'm making my Xmas cake. Her Xmas section includes such recipes as Rudolf Pie and Massacre in a Snowstorm!), and the other, by Gill Holcombe 'How to feed your whole family a healthy balanced diet with very little money and hardly any time, even if you have only three saucepans (one with an ill fitting lid) and no fancy gadgets unless you count the garlic crusher...' Yep, that's the title. It's a great little book and stuffed with a common sense attitude to life as well as some excellent recipes.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 12:08 pm

Does the Nigella book have a recipe for some kind of chocolate fudge in it. I walking in half way through seeing it made on TV one day, and I have been meaning to try and find the recipe for ages!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 12:46 pm

I haven't even started buying food for our Christmas dinner, or started baking.

I finished A Rose Without a Thorn by Jean Plaidy last night. Part of me said 'the little chit deserved it' and part of me said 'She was so young and eager to please others, even those out for themselves only' and lady Jane Rochford how interesting that she would confess to all the lies when putting her head on the block. I don't know alot about Thomas Culpepper but he must have been somekind of gentleman not giving a peep even during the Rack, and his final speech must have given Katherine a small boost of confidence.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 12:47 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Does the Nigella book have a recipe for some kind of chocolate fudge in it. I walking in half way through seeing it made on TV one day, and I have been meaning to try and find the recipe for ages![/quote]

Sadly no. After you asked I went and had a look at my 3 Nigella cookbooks (How to be A Domestic Goddess, Feast and How to Eat) but despite my mouth watering at all the chocolate recipes there were (sticky chocolate pudding anyone?), there was no fudge. There's a plain fudge recipe in Domestic Goddess. So perhaps it's in Nigella Express or Nigella Bites, which I haven't got.
Les proz e les vassals

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 2:12 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Does the Nigella book have a recipe for some kind of chocolate fudge in it. I walking in half way through seeing it made on TV one day, and I have been meaning to try and find the recipe for ages![/quote]

Express has two recipes in it: one for a Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Sundae and for Chocolate Pistachio Fudge.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 2:29 pm

Have looked at the books on Mt. TBR and have picked up Daughters of Fire by Barbara Erskine.
Les proz e les vassals

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 2:46 pm

[quote=""nona""]I haven't even started buying food for our Christmas dinner, or started baking..[/quote]

You mean for Thanksgiving dinner, right? Drives me crazy how early the holiday pops up. Two radio stations in town started playing Christmas music 24/7 right after Halloween...

My sister has pushed Scott Turow's 'Ordinary Heros' on me. Sometimes her recs are on target, other times they are Da Vinci Code. But right now I'm in a reading slump (been catching up on lots of magazine subscriptions....) so I'll give it a gander.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 6:29 pm

no I meant Christmas I have a huge family and I bake at least three dozen cookies or individual cake assortment and send them to everyone about a week or so before Christmas, then I bake alot for work party then I bake a few dozen for our house and of course Santa has to have a few for Christmas Eve Night.

I usually start cooking the day after Thanksgiving but I haven't had time to go through my books and make a list of what I need.

I have no idea as to what to read now I'm think Catalin's Riddle, it's a novel n ancient Rome but I'm not sure yet. Does anyone know of any good Nero books?

Return to “Archives”