Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Member Ranks

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 30th, 2008, 2:44 am

>anybody remember the days when they picked teams by lining kids up and the worst players went last

Are you kidding? I even remember the day they decided to auction us off for the summer softball league and I was sold, last on the field, for a penny. And don't get me talking about the Fatman races.

Anyway, I don't really care, do as you please. Tho I did like the royalty names because it was fun!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 30th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Ash you are too funny :D :)

I keep forgetting to step into this topic with my own opinion. I think I'm fine with ranks by # of posts like before (geez, I finally got royalty and now I'm back to square one :p ).

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat August 30th, 2008, 1:11 pm

[quote=""Ash""]>anybody remember the days when they picked teams by lining kids up and the worst players went last

Are you kidding? I even remember the day they decided to auction us off for the summer softball league and I was sold, last on the field, for a penny. And don't get me talking about the Fatman races.

Anyway, I don't really care, do as you please. Tho I did like the royalty names because it was fun![/quote]

I was always chosen last for these things too. The good thing was that by the time I was picked, the game was almost over.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 30th, 2008, 1:52 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I was always chosen last for these things too. The good thing was that by the time I was picked, the game was almost over.[/quote]

Hee, really. Actually I learned that I could sneak away during the game with a book and not be missed.....

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 1:48 pm

Look at this issue from a French Revolution perspective: HF.org was the Old Regime, with its antiquated titles of nobility, then there was Bastille Day, and now we all start from scratch as equal citizens of HFonline. Isn't that neat?

Truth be told, I don't miss the old titles, because I used to be something like dogcatcher. :rolleyes: In any case, if we decide to go back to a title system, let's come up with something automated that wouldn't cause extra work for the mods, like the number of posts. Rating each other's posts would be time-consuming and might lead to some unpleasantness down the line.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 3:29 pm

Here are some fun ranks for bibliophiles:

0-100 - Author

101-300 - Agent

301-500 – Editor

501-800 – Proofreader

801-1000 - Publisher

1000+ - Freelancer

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

???

Post by Catherine Delors » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:14 pm

The authors are stuck at the bottom rung?

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:35 pm

The author starts the entire publishing process, so all the 'authors' on the site start the forum process in a similar way.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:46 pm

It does'nt really matter to me what you decide about member ranks. I think the old system based on number of posts was just fine. I think the most of us who post on this site come here because we are truly interrested in reading and discussing historical fiction. Not about gaining some inconsequential status in a fourm group. So that being said, whatever you do is fine with me. I just come here because of the books, eh!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

TerriPray
Reader

Post by TerriPray » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 5:09 pm

If it went on the book trade it would be

Reader

Buyer (For stores)

Author

Agent

Editor

Proofer

Editor in Chief

Publisher

*eg* you see it's the patterns of the readers and buyers that then influence what books the editors then buy from the authors. Unless it's small press where the editor in chief has greater power to buy books that personally appeal to them instead of having to buy to current and projected market trends.

It's why you'll often find gems in small press as they don't have larger companies to answer to, which in turn have share holders to answer to. We also don't do the massive print runs, so don't take the larger risks with the unheard of authors, or potentially risky book.
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

Return to “Site Suggestions”