Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading June 2019?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
princess garnet
Bibliophile

What Are You Reading June 2019?

Post by princess garnet » Thu June 6th, 2019, 7:29 pm

New thread for the month!
Library copy of Anna of Kleve by Alison Weir. It's the 4th entry in her "6 Tudor Queens" series. More here:
http://alisonweir.org.uk/books/bookpage ... -kleve.php
The US edition cover features a costumed lady holding a book as she's looking out the stained class window.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The King's Witch" by Tracy Borman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Re: What Are You Reading June 2019?

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 7th, 2019, 8:42 am

"The Last Hours" by Minette Walters, set during the plague of 1348, and "The Mechanical Devil" by Kate Ellis, modern day crime in Devon, coupled with the discovery of a mysterious early automaton, found buried near a village church.
Currently reading "The King's Witch" by Tracy Borman

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri June 7th, 2019, 10:27 am

I’m reading The Brief by Simon Michael, a courtroom/murder mystery set during the 1960s. I’ve already met the Kray twins! :o It’s a review book and I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy it, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by it.

I’m also reading Not Speaking by Norma Clarke via the Pigeonhole app. It’s a memoir about Nicky Clarke, celebrity and royalty hairdresser. It’s written by his sister and I’m finding it very interesting. I hadn’t realised it was a memoir or about the Nicky Clarke when I joined!

I’m listening to La’s Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith which I’m finding a gentle, light-hearted read (or listen!).
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri June 14th, 2019, 4:10 pm

The Number of Love by Roseanna M. White (Codebreakers #1)
The novel features math prodigy Margot de Wilde who first appeared in A Song Unheard as the main lead. A few characters from "Shadows Over England" trilogy appear too.

The sequel On the Wings of Devotion will release in early 2020.

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Mon June 17th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Just finished the audiobook Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly, who also wrote Lilac Girls. I had really liked Lilac Girls, & had been looking forward to this book set in the WWI era in Russia, Paris, & New England, but all of the 3 main characters had something that bothered me enough that I downgraded my rating for this book. Whiny, entitled, or corrupted, I didn't really care for the protagonists of this one, although thankfully they were not that way throughout the entire book. I haven't read much about the White Russian emigrees fleeing the Russian Revolution, so I have to say the story was interesting. Oh well, can't win them all.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue June 18th, 2019, 8:38 am

"The Lost Man" by Jane Harper, contemporary drama set in the Australian outback.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 18th, 2019, 8:52 am

I’ve just finished The Silent Woman by Terry Lynn Thomas, a tale of espionage and murder set just before WWII. I very much enjoyed it.

I’m reading Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon and, via Pigeonhole, Tell Me a Secret by Dorothy Koomson, both co temporary stories.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

red805
Reader

Post by red805 » Sat June 22nd, 2019, 7:21 pm

I am really loving The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck, set during & after WWII in Germany with 3 women as the main characters. I'm about in the middle of it, but it's looking like a 10/10 for me at this point.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 23rd, 2019, 1:53 pm

I’m reading Tudor Dawn by David Field, the first in the Tudor Saga series. It’s a review book. It begins with Edward IV on the throne and Henry Tudor growing up in exile.

Im also reading Via Pigeonhole Tell Me Your Secret by Dorothy Koomson, a contemporary psychological thriller. I’m looking forward to reading The Book of Bera: Obsidian by Susie Wilde, a Viking tale set in Iceland, which begins on 8 July.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 24th, 2019, 9:12 am

I've just started "Cragside", 6th book in the DCI Ryan series, set in Northumberland at a real-life National Trust property.

Return to “General Discussion”