Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading April 2019?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Re: What Are You Reading April 2019?

Post by Vanessa » Thu April 18th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Now also reading Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.. It’s quirky and quite amusing.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 24th, 2019, 5:34 pm

I’m reading The Girl Puzzle by Kate Braithwaite. It’s a story based on Nellie Bly and her stay in Blackwell’s Island, impersonating an inmate so that she can investigate conditions and care. Pretty horrific, if you ask me! The conditions and care, that is. :shock: I’d heard the name of Nellie Bly but had no idea where from so didn’t know much about her. I’m finding it very interesting.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

ClareShepherd
Currently reading: Tombland
Interest in HF: I have been interested in history and historical fiction since school. I am 72 years old.
Favourite HF book: Sun in Splendour.
Preferred HF: Medieval

Post by ClareShepherd » Sat April 27th, 2019, 9:22 pm

I am reading the 800 page plus book by C.J. Sansom, "Tombland". It is set in 1549 and deals with the rebellion in Norfolk.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun April 28th, 2019, 4:04 am

ClareShepherd wrote:
Sat April 27th, 2019, 9:22 pm
I am reading the 800 page plus book by C.J. Sansom, "Tombland". It is set in 1549 and deals with the rebellion in Norfolk.
I'm reading that too, and it is a pretty heavy slog, compared to his other six.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 29th, 2019, 8:57 am

I've just started "Our House" by Louise Candlish.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue April 30th, 2019, 12:26 am

Kingsbane by Claire Legrand (YA)
It's #2 in the "Empirium Trilogy" releasing next month. I received an ARC from a publicity blast by the publisher. :)

Return to “General Discussion”