Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Abir Mukherjee

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Abir Mukherjee

Post by Margaret » Tue July 10th, 2018, 3:28 am

Has anyone here read the two mystery novels by Abir Mukherjee, A Rising Man and A Necessary Evil (the latter reviewed on my website)? I thought they were fabulous! Rich historical setting with a lot of depth and texture, plus they work brilliantly as mysteries.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Abir Mukherjee

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue July 10th, 2018, 3:50 am

sounds interesting! I will have to check it out.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed December 5th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I’m just about to start A Rising Man, the first book. :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Thu December 6th, 2018, 5:09 am

I’m just about to start A Rising Man
Let us know how you like it, Vanessa, when you're finished. I always find it exciting to discover a new setting - even though I've read other novels set in India, this one took me to a person and place there that was really new to me.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Sun December 30th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Margaret wrote:
I’m just about to start A Rising Man
Let us know how you like it, Vanessa, when you're finished. I always find it exciting to discover a new setting - even though I've read other novels set in India, this one took me to a person and place there that was really new to me.
I really enjoyed A Rising Man. I loved the setting and I thought it was well researched. I liked the character of Sam Wyndham and his subtle sense of humour!! I was envisioning pots of maroon paint being sailed across the seas for the government buildings. It was entertaining and interesting. I will be continuing with the series.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon December 31st, 2018, 12:07 am

I really enjoyed A Rising Man. I loved the setting and I thought it was well researched. I liked the character of Sam Wyndham and his subtle sense of humour!! I was envisioning pots of maroon paint being sailed across the seas for the government buildings. It was entertaining and interesting. I will be continuing with the series.
So glad you enjoyed it, Vanessa! I, too, thought the setting was portrayed exceptionally well - it felt like I was right there with the characters. I liked Wyndham, too. It must have been a tricky challenge for the author to place him in his time period in a way that both showed, in a realistic way, the prejudices any British character of the time would have, and also gave him enough humility and humanity to be sympathetic for present-day readers and avoid giving the impression it was OK to hold those prejudices. Banerjee is also a wonderful character, I thought--intelligent and unstereotyped--a great foil for Wyndham.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 1:29 pm

Yes, I liked ‘Surrender-not’ too! He makes a great side kick. It did make me laugh when he was found asleep under his desk. :D I think he and Sam are gong make a fantastic duo.

Return to “By Author”