Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New "Rebecca" adaptation

princess garnet
Bibliophile

New "Rebecca" adaptation

Post by princess garnet » Sun November 25th, 2018, 7:36 pm

A new adaptation of Rebecca is coming to Netflix. Lily James will be in the lead role as the 2nd Mrs. de Winter: https://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/201 ... adaptation
In addition to the 1940 version by Alfred Hitchcock, PBS "Masterpiece Theater" had an adaptation in 1998 starring Emilia Fox, Charles Dance, and Diana Rigg.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Re: New "Rebecca" adaptation

Post by Margaret » Mon November 26th, 2018, 3:26 am

Cool! Daphne du Maurier wrote a lot of good books, but Rebecca is probably her most outstanding. It would be hard to top the Hitchcock film adaptation. I see they haven't picked (or at least, word is not out yet) an actress for Mrs. Danvers - probably the most crucial role.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 26th, 2018, 10:28 am

Do we really need another version of Rebecca though? It would be nice if they did some of her lesser known books for a change!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue November 27th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Well, we probably don't need another Rebecca film - but the younger generation who don't know du Maurier's work might need one.

Hitchcock also made a film of Jamaica Inn in 1939 - and The Birds is from a du Maurier short story, which I did not know until I looked it up just now.

I also did not realize how many, many versions of Rebecca have been made (a lot of them for TV). There's a whole page on her at IMDb, which also mentions this interesting little tidbit:
Her most famous novel, "Rebecca", was set in a 70-room manor. The manor actually exists and is called Menabilly, on the Cornwall coast in the extreme southwest of England close to Fowey. Du Maurier had seen it as a child and was so struck by it that she told everyone she would one day move into the estate. In 1943, after she had become a world-famous and best-selling author, she and her husband actually leased Menabilly for 25 years and moved in.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat January 19th, 2019, 3:57 pm

There was also Don't Look Now (I think that is what it was called) with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie which was pretty well received over here.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”