Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading July 2018?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: What are you reading July 2018?

Post by Madeleine » Mon July 16th, 2018, 8:44 am

Just started "the Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths, a Ruth Galloway mystery.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 17th, 2018, 10:15 am

I’m just about to start The Story Keeper by Anna Mazzola, which is set in 1857 in the Isle of Skye and it’s about evil fairies and mysterious disappearances!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MariaJauthor
Currently reading: Osbert by R A Currier
Interest in HF: I've always been interested in historical fiction! I love the idea that you're glimpsing another world, yet it's still based in the real world. You also often learn things about the past and old ways of life.
Favourite HF book: At the moment it's definitely Osbert by R A Currier
Preferred HF: I'm particularly interested in the early medieval period, particularly the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon eras. My novel, 'The Boy from the Snow', is based in Celtic North-West England in the year 590AD.

Post by MariaJauthor » Tue July 17th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Hi, I just joined this form because it looked like a great way to connect with other readers (and maybe writers) who love historical fiction! At the moment I'm reading 'Osbert' by R.A. Currier. It's quite a long read but I heartily recommend it, I'm over 75% through it now! It's about a shepherd living in the North of England in the 13th Century. A lot of the novel takes place within Osbert's mind, as he struggles with his mental health (what Osbert terms his 'demons'). It's a haunting and beautiful depiction his life, with some adventures with his cousin and best friend, Tolly, thrown in.

This is vastly turning into one of my favourite books ever and also a very important book on the issue of depression, with amazingly well written characters and beautiful descriptions. :)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed July 18th, 2018, 4:17 pm

The King's Witch by Tracy Borman
The 1st in a trilogy set during the early years of the reign of King James I. More on the author's website: http://www.tracyborman.co.uk/books/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri July 20th, 2018, 9:39 am

I’m just about to start The Road the Newgate by Kate Braithwaite, an historical thriller set in 1678 during Charles II’s reign. I’ve also just started Darling Blue by Tracy Rees via the Pigeonhole app, which is set in 1925 in Richmond, London.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri July 20th, 2018, 10:10 am

Welcome Maria!

Its not historic fiction, but hisoric in the mythology sense: Circe by Madeliene Miller. A very interesting take on the Odessey story, and perhaps my fav book of the year so far

Previously read Eliz Chadwick Silk of Templar and honestly it left me cold. Anyone else have problems with the book?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat July 21st, 2018, 2:31 pm

The Romanov Empress by CW Gortner
The story of Empress Maria (Minnie) Feodorovna, wife of Tsar Alexander III of Russia.

Long time forum members may recall CW Gortner used to post here on the site.

MariaJauthor
Currently reading: Osbert by R A Currier
Interest in HF: I've always been interested in historical fiction! I love the idea that you're glimpsing another world, yet it's still based in the real world. You also often learn things about the past and old ways of life.
Favourite HF book: At the moment it's definitely Osbert by R A Currier
Preferred HF: I'm particularly interested in the early medieval period, particularly the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon eras. My novel, 'The Boy from the Snow', is based in Celtic North-West England in the year 590AD.

Post by MariaJauthor » Sat July 21st, 2018, 6:30 pm

Ash wrote:Welcome Maria!

Its not historic fiction, but hisoric in the mythology sense: Circe by Madeliene Miller. A very interesting take on the Odessey story, and perhaps my fav book of the year so far

Previously read Eliz Chadwick Silk of Templar and honestly it left me cold. Anyone else have problems with the book?
Thanks for the welcome! The books you've mentioned sound very interesting :)

MaggieSt
Currently reading: The Ill-Made Kinght
Interest in HF: Family history sparked my first interest but the further back I went the more I became interested in Medieval England.
Favourite HF book: Cornwell's series last kingdom series
Preferred HF: Anglo Saxon England

Post by MaggieSt » Mon July 23rd, 2018, 6:34 am

I am reading 'The Ill-Made Knight' by Christian Cameron. Written in first person which I am not keen on but gave it a shot. A knight tells the story of his life, it is quite a story and seems to go forever, and I find it annoying that his telling of this story is set in an inn where he is just chatting to his me. Set in Poitiers, France in 1356. Some bits had me hooked but I am losing interest quickly.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon July 23rd, 2018, 8:48 am

I've just started "The Lost" by Mari Hannah, about a missing child in Northumberland.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “General Discussion”