Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading in March?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

What are you reading in March?

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun March 4th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Not HF, but I'm re-reading A Wrinkle in Time. Prior to the movie coming out. I loved this book as a kid. It's not holding up very well to my adult eyes. *sigh*

I probably won't be around much until the 24th, as I'm off in Spain researching my next novel. (Aldonza's Revenge, cover below.) Although with the internet being so much further advanced that the last time I was in Spain (2010, which seems like yesterday to me; hard to believe that was eight years ago!) it may be that there is no interruption at all.

Just put my books in my signature, but dang! that image is huge. Fred, help! how do I re-size the thing to reasonable proportions?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Re: What are you reading in March?

Post by princess garnet » Mon March 5th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Rereading Rival Queens by Nancy Goldstone (NF) in paperback edition
Dual biography of Catherine de' Medici and Queen Margot

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 5th, 2018, 10:21 pm

I'm reading The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale which is set during the early part of the 20thC. A bit of magical realism. I'm loving it so far. If you enjoyed The Night Circus, you'll enjoy this one!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue March 6th, 2018, 2:14 am

Just started Royal Mistress by Anne Easter Smith.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Wed March 7th, 2018, 9:29 pm

About halfway through Washington by Ron Chernow. So interesting that so many of the founding fathers were very young during the American Revolution. Learning about them in school I always pictured them as old.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 9th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Just about to start Perception & Illusion by Catherine Kullman, a Regency romance novel. Sounds as if it’s going to be similar to a Georgette Heyer story.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

gallowglass1580
Scribbler
Currently reading: The Scarlet Lion
Interest in HF: Irish History.
Irish and European historical fiction set between 1500 and 1750
Favourite HF book: Shogun
Preferred HF: Irish history and also English Tudor history

Post by gallowglass1580 » Sun March 11th, 2018, 9:57 am

The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick set in Ireland and England in the 12th and 13th centuries detailing the life and times of William Marshal and Isabelle de Clare.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Wed March 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Now reading Someone to Look Up To by Jean Gill, a story told from the point of view of a dog.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 19th, 2018, 8:36 am

The Power by Naomi Alderman. A bit of girl power!! :D

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Mon March 19th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Finished The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides & really liked it. The writing drew me in probably more than the story. Not HF, although set in the late 1970s/early 1980s - maybe HF in another 50 years :) Eugenides is about my age, so lots of fun cultural references. I had to go buy The Virgin Suicides after reading this, as this author is pretty incredible.

Return to “General Discussion”