Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What audiobooks are you listening to?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: What audiobooks are you listening to?

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun January 15th, 2017, 5:36 am

Vanessa wrote:I wish they'd put Gone with the Wind on audio! Keep checking without success.
I have an audio version of GWTW. Quite good in fact. The narrator does a nice job with the various southern accents. It's in my audible library.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed February 1st, 2017, 6:00 pm

I finished News of the World by Paulette Jiles yesterday. The audio is read by Grover Gardner whose voice is perfect for Westerns.

I've just started Is Paris Burning, which is non-fiction about the liberation of Paris. I picked it up because I'm trying to read one NF per month and this was available at the library. I had no idea until after I started reading it and did a little research on the book that it was written in the 60s and had been made into a movie. The history is interesting, but I don't care for the narrator's voice. I may have to look for the movie.

Wolfshead
Scribbler

Post by Wolfshead » Sun June 11th, 2017, 12:46 pm

SGM wrote:Second Patrick Rothfuss (UK narration). I'm about two-thirds of the way through. There has been criticism that, as with the GRR Martin novels, it shows the lack of editorial control and therefore suffers from 'bloat', but it's not too bad. There was a fairly long over-blown section that seems to have gone nowhere but I am now past that and, hopefully, back on track. Of course, there has been a long wait for the final novel. This runs to some 40 hours which is useful because I am spending a lot of time on handicraft projects at the moment and I have not been able to train myself to read a Kindle-version effectively whilst completing these projects although I am getting better and might achieve it in a couple of months.

I have made some very bad choices with the Great Courses series and as therefore very unlikely to risk them again.
I loved the two Rothfuss books on Audible. He's an excellent writer (although, yes, a bit bloated) and the narrator is the best I've ever heard. Wish they'd get that third book out and hopefully our hero is a bit less Godlike in it.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 11th, 2017, 3:26 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Vanessa wrote:I wish they'd put Gone with the Wind on audio! Keep checking without success.
I have an audio version of GWTW. Quite good in fact. The narrator does a nice job with the various southern accents. It's in my audible library.
Just noticed your reply, Emily! :oops: Audible UK don't seem to have it, but perhaps one day hopefully...... I wish there was a way of wishing for a book on Audible, too.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed June 14th, 2017, 1:20 pm

I've just started The Sleepwalkers, NF about events leading up to WW1. It's long, so I'll be listening to this one for a while.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat June 17th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Wolfshead wrote:I loved the two Rothfuss books on Audible. He's an excellent writer (although, yes, a bit bloated) and the narrator is the best I've ever heard. Wish they'd get that third book out and hopefully our hero is a bit less Godlike in it.
i agree about the narrator, his voice has a touch of Richard Burton in it. I thought this was one of those audiobooks that had a different narrator for the UK and US markets, but not so. I must have been thinking about a different book. Rothfuss's bloat is nowhere near as bad as GRR's
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Sat September 2nd, 2017, 7:31 pm

I'm currently reading a free Audible book - Private by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro. I've thought of trying out a Patterson before, but the price on this one was right ;) However, I was confused at the rapid pace of the narrator. For the first few chapters I thought how strange it was that he was talking SO fast. Then I realized that there is a speed option, & somehow the book had been set to 1.25 speed! I changed it back to 1.0 & then the speed was normal, although the book is not that great. Maybe I'll go back to 1.25 speed to get it finished sooner!

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun September 3rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

I have just discovered that there is an audio edition of Alan Rickman reading Return of the Native, one of my favourite Hardy's. Unfortunately, I now no longer trust Amazon's commitment to maintaining downloads already bought (they lost a five-year subscription I had) so I have given up my Audible membership and am gradually giving up other Amazon subscriptions when they are due for renewal. I should be Amazon-free soon. I am sure I can find the Rickman version of Return elsewhere but wish I had got it before I gave up the subscription. I mainly buy my ebooks from Hive now if I can and if not anywhere but Amazon. I really don't have time to listen to audio-books at the moment so maybe it is all for the best.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 6th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Listening to Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon. At nearly 29 hours in overall length, this will probably be my last audiobook for the year.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed December 6th, 2017, 4:46 pm

loved Hawk Quest. Except for the major research blooper at the end.

Return to “Audiobooks”