Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Beverly Swerling

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Beverly Swerling

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 5:34 am

This author is a bit hit and miss with me. I really enjoyed her first book, City of Dreams, but didn't enjoy Shadowbrook as much. The third book, City of Glory was again enjoyable. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series City of God, but I am not 100% sure when it will be out.

I do find the fact that Shadowbrook is named differently to the other books a bit confusing and that did result in me reading this series out of order, which is one thing I don't like to do.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 30th, 2008, 2:20 pm

I also loved City of Dreams, and was disappointed in Shadowbrooks, so I stayed away from City of Glory. May have to try it now, if you say its as good as the first.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat August 30th, 2008, 2:54 pm

What time period does she write in?

Lovin the avatar diamondlil :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat August 30th, 2008, 3:17 pm

I was leery about reading City of Glory because I thought Shadowbrook was dull, but I enjoyed it a lot. There wasn't much if any overlap in terms of characters between the two books (I believe the families were distantly related).

City of God is supposed to be set in Civil War-era Manhattan and is due out in the US in early December. The others are set in earlier periods of American history, mostly in Manhattan, but Shadowbrook is set in upstate NY and Quebec in the 1750s.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat August 30th, 2008, 3:32 pm

OH upstate NY. Hmmm I wonder how "upstate" it is. I'll have to check.

Anyway, I checked out City of God and it seems like its a family saga. Am I right? It really doesnt sound like something I"d be interested in,but I'll wait to see what the reviews are and maybe for a summary on amazon.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 30th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Now this time I'm in the minority. I loved Shadowbrook but could not finish City of Dreams. I just didn't care for any of the characters, along with the gore factor and the generation jumping just lost me.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat August 30th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Yep, they all are family sagas. City of Dreams covers multiple generations over about 100 years, but the others don't cover as much time. It's the only one I haven't read. City of Glory takes place over 10 days during the War of 1812.

The publisher's catalog says next to nothing about City of God other than the setting and that it's a followup, but from an excerpt on Swerling's website, it begins in 1863. So maybe one or two generations after the previous book.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 10:41 pm

City of Dreams suffers a little from the fact that it does cover so long and so many characters.

I have reviews for all of them, which I will post shortly.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:17 pm

hmm. I dont like books with a lot of characters. I tend to get them confused. Simple tastes I guess. ;)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Only the first one is like that. The others are all okay!

Return to “America”