Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Artists

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Kerry
Currently reading: The Muse
Interest in HF: Have always loved it. Just listened to the Reith Lectures by Hilary Mantel. So inspired that I've written my own HF novel set in turn-of-the-century Vienna. I'm interested in all fiction and love historical fiction that's well-written and brings the past to life.
Favourite HF book: Wolf Hall.
Preferred HF: No. The way the novel is written is more important than the period it discusses.

Artists

Post by Kerry » Tue July 18th, 2017, 10:13 pm

I loved Tracy Chevalier's The Girl with the Pearl Earring. Does anyone know of any other novels that look into periods of art history?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Artists

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed July 19th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Susan Vreeland writes about artists. Also this one on Van Gogh https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_f ... Y3VECBVXDY

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed July 19th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Van Gogh spent some time in a sanitarium and here's a book, Let Me Tell You About a Man I Knew by Susan Fletcher which looks at that. I enjoyed it.

Another couple of books I enjoyed about art are The Golden tulip by Rosalind Laker and The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/l/rosa ... -tulip.htm
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/d/sara ... -venus.htm
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu July 20th, 2017, 2:20 am

Tracy Chevalier also wrote The Lady and the Unicorn, her answer to the mystery of the medieval tapestries that are in the Cluny Museum in Paris - except when I visited the Cluny Museum. We went through the whole museum and didn't see them. When we asked a guard where they were, he said they were on loan to a museum in Japan. :-(

Way back in high school, I read The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo by Irving Stone

Also recommended:
Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet by Stephanie Cowell
The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan (inspired by the real-life model for Degas’s Little Dancer Aged Fourteen)

Here's a link to historical novels about artists: http://www.historicalnovels.info/Artists.html
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu July 20th, 2017, 11:59 am

Susan wrote:Tracy Chevalier also wrote The Lady and the Unicorn, her answer to the mystery of the medieval tapestries that are in the Cluny Museum in Paris - except when I visited the Cluny Museum. We went through the whole museum and didn't see them. When we asked a guard where they were, he said they were on loan to a museum in Japan. :-(
This happened to us as well! We must have visited around the same time. The rest of the museum was excellent, but I was disappointed not to see the tapestries.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu July 20th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Lisa wrote:
Susan wrote:Tracy Chevalier also wrote The Lady and the Unicorn, her answer to the mystery of the medieval tapestries that are in the Cluny Museum in Paris - except when I visited the Cluny Museum. We went through the whole museum and didn't see them. When we asked a guard where they were, he said they were on loan to a museum in Japan. :-(
This happened to us as well! We must have visited around the same time. The rest of the museum was excellent, but I was disappointed not to see the tapestries.
I guess we'll have to go to Paris again! :D
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu July 20th, 2017, 1:25 pm

It also happened to a work colleague, who went at the same time and found they weren't there! Would be lovely if they ever came to London ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu July 20th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Wow, I didn't think the tapestries would go on tour! I saw them in 2004 and 2012. They were cleaned and restored not too long ago.

Of interest, I checked the Musee de Cluny website and found an English language description of a tour that includes the famed tapestries:
http://www.musee-moyenage.fr/activites/ ... ieces.html

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri July 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Susan wrote:
Lisa wrote:
I guess we'll have to go to Paris again! :D
Yup! I would be happy to see the rest of the museum again anyway. Then the little garden outside is a lovely quiet spot to have a picnic lunch :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon August 14th, 2017, 2:59 pm

There's a ton of novels about artists. I made a list a few years ago and posted it here. It's in two parts. Part I starts with the excellent Girl With a Pearl Earring and covers prehistory through the 17th century; Part II covers the 18th and 19th centuries and overlaps a bit into the early 20th century with Gustav Klimt. I haven't updated it in a while, so novels written in the last few years don't appear on it yet - but there's still plenty to choose from!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”