Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 18th, 2008, 1:17 am

[quote=""LCW""]I'm starting on The Far Pavillions by M. M. Kay. Looking forward to it!![/quote]

Ahh, Ash and Julie. I you though Llewllyn and Eleanore smoked off the pages I dare say you "aint" seen nothing yet. Prepare to lose lots and lots of sleep.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue November 18th, 2008, 1:52 am

[quote=""ellenjane""]I'm charging through "This Charming Man," by Marian Keyes. I generally like her novels for a nice light taste of chick lit that doesn't insult my intelligence. This one is weird, though - there's a very heavy theme that is just hinted at so far (I'm about 2/3 through). It's written from the viewpoints of four different characters, and one uses an astoundingly annoying shorthand. No verbs. Very difficult to read. Like Bridget Jones on crack. Am gritting teeth and skimming.

Next up is "The 19th Wife," which I'm really looking forward to. I've also put "Into the Wilderness" on hold at the library, and that will come in soon. Somewhere in here I'm supposed to read "The Road" for my book club's December 2 meeting, too. November doesn't feel like the best time to read something so bleak, but I suppose I should do my English degree proud and read it For Literature's Sake. :p [/quote]

Totally agree re Lola's voice in This Charming Man. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as other MK books!

Not sure that there is ever a really good time to read a novel like The Road. I did like it when I read it, but I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable read.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Tue November 18th, 2008, 2:42 am

I just finished Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. I had no interest in ancient Egypt before reading this, but now I'm anxious to get The Heretic Queen. Nefertiti was great. Way to go Michelle!

Taking a brief detour from historical fiction now with War On Iraq-What Team Bush Doesn't Want You To Know by William Rivers Pitt with former U.N. weapons inspector Scott Ritter, published in 2002 about the genesis of the Iraq war.

After that it will probably be back to one of my new purchases, influenced by several of your Top 10 lists, either The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye or Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue November 18th, 2008, 8:09 am

I can't remember if I posted this already or not, but I am currently reading Angelique and the King by Sergeanne Golon.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 18th, 2008, 8:38 am

I'm just about to start the 17th book in the Morland Dynasty, The Poison Tree by Cynthia Harrod Eagles.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Tue November 18th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Turnstone by Graham Hurley

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Tue November 18th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Just about to start Painting Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue November 18th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Thank you so much, red085! I hope you enjoy THQ as well.

I'm currently reading The Year 1000. Really entertaining NF!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 18th, 2008, 5:34 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]T

I'm currently reading The Year 1000. Really entertaining NF![/quote]

When you get to the acknowledgements there's one for Regia Anglorum - my re-enactment society. Colleagues Kim Siddorn our founder and Roland Williamson our authenticity officer at the time, were consultants and manuscript reviewers for this one....
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue November 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm

I'm going to start The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons later today.

Return to “Archives”