Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Adventure novels set between 1900s to 1930s?

kuilis
Scribbler

Adventure novels set between 1900s to 1930s?

Post by kuilis » Sun May 15th, 2016, 9:41 pm

Sorry to start another topic, just seems like folks here know their business on historical fiction. :)

Can anyone recommend some adventure novels with historical setting anytime between 1900-1939? Something with similar themes to Indiana Jones or The Mummy (treasure hunting, exploration, etc.) but preferably with a bit more realism, i.e. no monsters or aliens. Would prefer the Far East as a setting but would also be interested in South America or Europe. Doesn't matter if the book was written back then or today.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Re: Adventure novels set between 1900s to 1930s?

Post by SGM » Mon May 16th, 2016, 5:26 am

Never read them myself but Rider Haggard might suit. Many of his novels were written during this time and so might reflect the period you want. I have only seen the films. Ditto Erskine Childers' Riddle of the Sands.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

kuilis
Scribbler

Post by kuilis » Mon May 16th, 2016, 1:45 pm

SGM wrote:Never read them myself but Rider Haggard might suit.
Cheers. I think most of them are set somewhat earlier (19th century) but I've still heard he's a great writer and King Solomon's Mines is still on my reading list.
SGM wrote:Ditto Erskine Childers' Riddle of the Sands.
Just read a plot overview of it, sounds very interesting. Thanks again.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon May 16th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Some of John Buchan's fit into your time period, being arranged around the outbreak of WW1 and the aftermath. I think a couple are based in Africa (or South Africa). Some are set in a much earlier period.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon May 16th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Wilbur Smith's Assegai is set in 1906 Kenya. It brings together two series of adventure / family sagas mostly set in Africa.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue May 17th, 2016, 1:04 am

Clive Cussler? Haven't read him myself but whenever I see his covers I think it looks Indiana Jones-ish.

kuilis
Scribbler

Post by kuilis » Tue May 17th, 2016, 2:09 pm

SGM wrote:Some of John Buchan's fit into your time period, being arranged around the outbreak of WW1 and the aftermath. I think a couple are based in Africa (or South Africa). Some are set in a much earlier period.
Thanks I'll have a look.
MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:Wilbur Smith's Assegai is set in 1906 Kenya. It brings together two series of adventure / family sagas mostly set in Africa.
Haven't heard of that one. Thanks.
Mythica wrote:Clive Cussler? Haven't read him myself but whenever I see his covers I think it looks Indiana Jones-ish.
I've read most of his Isaac Bell stories, but I think apart from those his other works are set in the modern times.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue May 24th, 2016, 2:17 am

There are two novels by Bartle Bull, Shanghai Station and China Star, set in 1918 China. You will likely find more if you browse the Asia page at HistoricalNovels.info. Happy hunting!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

RLStevenson
Currently reading: The Last of the Mohicans
Interest in HF: Ancient history initially sparked my interest in historical fiction. I've been recreationally studying ancient histories since grade school - this led to my passion for archaeology. So, naturally, I turned to historical fiction. While I don't mind a good historical romance (I love Jane Austin), adventures are my favorite.
Favourite HF book: The Black Arrow: A Tale of the Two Roses
Preferred HF: I love books set in almost all historical time periods, but ancient (before the common era), medieval, and 19th century are my favorites.

Post by RLStevenson » Mon March 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

I'd second the suggestion of King Solomon's Mines. It is closer to last 1800s, but still has an Indiana Jones vibe. It very cleverly deals with superstitions and magic while keeping everything grounded in reality and has everything you could want from an adventure novel - treasure hunting, foreign lands, indigenous peoples and customs, battles, exploration...

werewolf
Currently reading: Conclave
Interest in HF: 1930s pulp
Preferred HF: 1930s colonial thrillers

Post by werewolf » Sun May 8th, 2022, 5:03 pm

I think I know what you want. A lot of great stories published in US pulp magazines that are being re-published. Try Syd Fleischer's Malay Woman or Danger in Paradise. Check out Far East Adventure Stories by Ace Williams (publ by Adventure House). Kipling's stories are a recommended read, but fall well outside the time period that interests you.

Return to “20th Century”