Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vanessa's 2015 Reads

What have you read in 2015? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

November

Post by Vanessa » Thu December 3rd, 2015, 10:05 am

Here's my list for November:

The Undesired by Yrsa Sigurdardottir 4
Dual timeframe creepy mystery set in Iceland in the 1970s and the present day. In the 1970s two inmates die at a naughty boys correction centre, whilst in the present day a man is investigating alleged abuse at the same centre following the death of a colleague. He is also wondering whether these events are connected to the death of his estranged wife who 'accidentally' fell out of a window. I thought it was quite an atmospheric and enjoyable tale and I especially liked the setting.

An Appetite for Violets by Martine Bailey 5
Atmospheric culinary gothic novel set in the 18thC about an under-cook at Mawton Hall who is forced to accompany her mistress on a trip to Italy. She takes with her a book of household recipes in which she records recipes of her own and her observations. She finds herself in the midst of a murderous plot. I loved the style of writing and I loved the story! Excellent stuff!

The Long Fall by Julia Crouch 3
Dual timeframe novel set in Greece in the 1980s and in London in the present day. In the 80s Emma is backpacking when she meets up with two other young people, Jake and Beattie. As these sorts of story go, they are not as they seem and it all ends up tragically. Thirty years later Kate is married with a daughter and living the high life, although she has her issues. One day she gets a phone call and everything comes tumbling down. I thought it was quite a predictable and silly plot, but it's an easy read and quite compelling.

The Bone Garden by Kate Ellis 4
Fifth in the Detective Wesley Peterson mystery series set in Devon. During a garden restoration programme and archaeological dig at Earlsacre Hall, some skeletons are found dating back to the 1700s, one of which is found to have been buried alive. Meanwhile a body is found in a caravan park followed by the murder of a local solicitor. Another intriguing episode in this enjoyable series which links the past to the present.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

December

Post by Vanessa » Fri January 1st, 2016, 5:00 pm

Here's my list for December:

House of Shadows by Nicola Cornick 5
Set in three interlinking timescales, during the 17thC, 19thC and the present day. When Holly's brother, Ben, who is living on the Ashdown estate, goes missing whilst researching their family tree, she is drawn to a magical and ornate crystal mirror which used to belong to the Winter Queen, Elizabeth, Queen of Bohemia. She also finds a diary belonging to a courtesan called Lavinia who lived at Ashdown Hall during the 19thC and is intrigued by its mystery. Holly hopes that by discovering the truth behind the diary's contents, she will also discover what has happened to her brother. I loved this and would think it would definitely appeal to fans of Barbara Erskine's work. Just a great time slip novel.

The Great Christmas Knit Off by Alexandra Brown 3.5
A bit of Christmas fluff! When Sybil is jilted at the altar of her Star Wars themed wedding and becomes involved in a financial hiccough where she works, she escapes to the fictional village of Tindledale with her dog, Basil. There she comes across Hettie's House of Haberdashery and promptly sets up a knitting group to knit 75 Christmas jumpers for some Japanese tourists, hoping to halt the closure of the emporium. This is a zany and light-hearted piece of madness, just right if you want to disengage your brain.

The Christmas We Met by Kate Lord Brown 4.5
Set in the late 1970s, when Grace's husband disappears after they have gone bankrupt and lost everything, including Grace's jewellery business, she takes a position at Wittering Manor to help Fraser Stratton write his memoirs. Each month she receives a mysterious note with a gemstone. She has also inherited a diamond brooch which seems to have a connection to the Stratton family. As Grace digs deeper into the mystery of the brooch, she discovers a family secret..... I thought this was a well written story which I really enjoyed.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2015”