Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading: November 2015?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

What are you reading: November 2015?

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 2nd, 2015, 10:14 am

I'm reading The Undesired by Yrsa Sigurdardottir, a horror story set in Iceland.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Re: What are you reading: November 2015?

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon November 2nd, 2015, 4:36 pm

In the middle of two books:

Isabel, la conquista del poder (Isabel, #2) by Martín Maurel
and
The Slave by Isaac Bashevis Singer

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 2nd, 2015, 5:14 pm

I finished the Borgias, so worked my way a bit through an old OOP travel book, Afoot in the Andes --Franck, 1914. But the print is teeny, and the tome weighs a pound, so I'll take it in small bits of eyestrain.
Tonight I'll probably start the Laker freebie--haven't read that one yet.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon November 2nd, 2015, 8:45 pm

Death at the Abbey by Christine Trent
5th installment in the "Lady of Ashes" series

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Tue November 3rd, 2015, 11:52 pm

Just finished The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks & enjoyed it. A novel about the life of King David - it made me try to remember Sunday School stories to see if I knew what was going to happen next. The name pronunciations did throw me (it was an audio book). Didn't know Solomon & Shlomo were the same person! I have to say that I found myself humming the Leonard Cohen Hallelujah tune constantly too. I've also read her People of the Book, & I'm going to have to check out her Pulitzer Prize-winning March soon.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed November 4th, 2015, 12:40 am

Elizabeth I by Margaret George
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed November 4th, 2015, 9:42 am

Nefret wrote:Elizabeth I by Margaret George
I really enjoyed that one :) I haven't read Legacy by Susan Kay yet though, so not sure how it compares.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 4th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Lisa wrote:
I really enjoyed that one :) I haven't read Legacy by Susan Kay yet though, so not sure how it compares.
I've read George's book, and also I, Elizabeth, (by Miles?) and even got half-way through Philippa Gregory's horrible travesty The Virgin's lover. But for my money, nothing beats Legacy.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 4th, 2015, 3:30 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Lisa wrote:
I've read George's book, and also I, Elizabeth, (by Miles?) and even got half-way through Philippa Gregory's horrible travesty The Virgin's lover. But for my money, nothing beats Legacy.
Legacy is The Best.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu November 5th, 2015, 9:44 am

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Lisa wrote:
Oh yes I read The Virgin's Lover as well, somehow forgot about that one, probably blocked it out of my mind for a reason :?

Return to “General Discussion”