Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby Misfit » Thu October 8th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Madeleine wrote:The girls at work were talking about this yesterday - has the author run out of ideas? I enjoyed the first 2 books, started to get bored with the 3rd and renamed the last one "Breaking Yawn".... :rolleyes:


FYI, the 'I don't think so' reviews at Goodreads are entertaining.

I might get tempted if the library picks up digital editions, but I only waded through Twilight on a double-dog-dare. Meyer has no concept of how remote Forks, or how long it takes to get around the Peninsula on Hwy 101. There are many sections where it's narrow and twisty, and you always, always get stuck behind a logging truck that won't yield. No way Edward and his hot car could have driven from Pt. Angeles to Forks in 30 minutes or whatever it was. And don't get me started on Bella getting to school in her big truck on a snow day. If they really get much snow that close to the ocean that it would actually stick to the roads - if it's that bad school would be late and/or cancelled. You certainly don't let a dimwit in a heavy rear wheel drive pickup on the roads. Ever.

/rant
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.
Location: California Bay Area

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 8th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Misfit wrote:Meyer has no concept of how remote Forks, or how long it takes to get around the Peninsula on Hwy 101. There are many sections where it's narrow and twisty, and you always, always get stuck behind a logging truck that won't yield. No way Edward and his hot car could have driven from Pt. Angeles to Forks in 30 minutes or whatever it was. And don't get me started on Bella getting to school in her big truck on a snow day. If they really get much snow that close to the ocean that it would actually stick to the roads - if it's that bad school would be late and/or cancelled. You certainly don't let a dimwit in a heavy rear wheel drive pickup on the roads. Ever.
/rant

HaHa, I had the same reaction, since I drove radios/sonars/radars from the Coast Guard Repair shop in Astoria up to Port Angeles and Grey's Harbor all the time for most of a year. Forget logging trucks, there are the old folks driving motorhomes--sloooow. Logging trucks at least go as fast as they are able and the drivers are skilled.

But I figured that if Kipling can write about "the road to Mandalay, where the flying fishes play, and the sun comes up like thunder out of China, across the bay", (Mandalay is landlocked in Myanmar (Burma), and at no point would a road going to it give a view of China, let alone across any body of water) I can grant Meyer a little literary license. Besides, I was bored enough driving those roads that I wouldn't care to re-live it in the pages of a novel.

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby Misfit » Thu October 8th, 2015, 9:43 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Misfit wrote:Meyer has no concept of how remote Forks, or how long it takes to get around the Peninsula on Hwy 101. There are many sections where it's narrow and twisty, and you always, always get stuck behind a logging truck that won't yield. No way Edward and his hot car could have driven from Pt. Angeles to Forks in 30 minutes or whatever it was. And don't get me started on Bella getting to school in her big truck on a snow day. If they really get much snow that close to the ocean that it would actually stick to the roads - if it's that bad school would be late and/or cancelled. You certainly don't let a dimwit in a heavy rear wheel drive pickup on the roads. Ever.
/rant

HaHa, I had the same reaction, since I drove radios/sonars/radars from the Coast Guard Repair shop in Astoria up to Port Angeles and Grey's Harbor all the time for most of a year. Forget logging trucks, there are the old folks driving motorhomes--sloooow. Logging trucks at least go as fast as they are able and the drivers are skilled.

But I figured that if Kipling can write about "the road to Mandalay, where the flying fishes play, and the sun comes up like thunder out of China, across the bay", (Mandalay is landlocked in Myanmar (Burma), and at no point would a road going to it give a view of China, let alone across any body of water) I can grant Meyer a little literary license. Besides, I was bored enough driving those roads that I wouldn't care to re-live it in the pages of a novel.


:D :)

The one that really got me was Bella and her friends going shopping at a department store in Port Angeles. Google PA = department stores.

I was scratching my head at the mad rush to Arizona and the vampire peeps have to turn around in Portland and drive back to SeaTac to catch a plane to Phoenix. Ummm, isn't there an big airport right there in Portland?

EL James messed up her Pacific NW world way worse. Had a hoot with my status updates at Goodreads. I was dying when they were lifting off in the helicopter from a downtown Portland office building, and dimwit is talking in her head about them entering US Airspace. :roll:
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime
Location: Essex/London

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby Madeleine » Fri October 9th, 2015, 8:38 am

I guess it's called artistic licence. They do it all the time in films and TV too, where someone whizzes from one place to another in about 5 seconds, but then a long road journey would make for pretty boring reading or viewing.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby Misfit » Fri October 9th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Madeleine wrote:I guess it's called artistic licence. They do it all the time in films and TV too, where someone whizzes from one place to another in about 5 seconds, but then a long road journey would make for pretty boring reading or viewing.


Good point. I guess I wasn't terribly entertained, Bella annoyed me to no end.

A classic 'quick trip' is Sleepless in Seattle, where he rows his boat from Lake Union and ends up at Alki Point in what appears to be minutes. The houseboat would be on Lake Union in this map, and I believe on the far east side of the lake (right hand on the map). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_M._ ... al_map.png. Through the locks and into Puget Sound and across Elliott Bay dodging all those container ships and ferries to Alki Point. Aerial view here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_B ... eattle.jpg.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
princess garnet
Bibliophile
Location: Maryland

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby princess garnet » Fri October 9th, 2015, 9:19 pm

I saw the 10 year anniversary Twilight book at Costco the other day. I won't be surprised if the other books in the series are reissued. Never read them, though, they didn't grab my attention.
Last edited by princess garnet on Sat October 10th, 2015, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DianeL
Bibliophile
Location: Midatlantic east coast, United States
Contact:

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Postby DianeL » Fri October 9th, 2015, 11:14 pm

Meyer is no Kipling.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

***

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

***

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor


Return to “Others”