Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed November 12th, 2008, 8:13 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I enjoyed The 13th Warrior from what I can remember of it.

Watched 300 today - what a load of twaddle! Looked good but that was about it, couldn't get past Gerard Butler's Scottish accent when he's playing an ancient Greek although it did sound as if he was trying to disguise his accent a bit...couldn't take it seriously at all, Troy was a masterpiece by comparison![/quote]

Thanks for the warning Madeleine. I've got it on my Love Film order sheet, but as a low priority. Think I might just remove it. Is it bloodthirsty?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed November 12th, 2008, 9:22 pm

watched Pathfinder which I bought the other day, forgot how good a movie it was till I saw it again. Now that I think about it it reminds me of 13th Warrior.

chuck
Bibliophile

comparative comments

Post by chuck » Thu November 13th, 2008, 1:55 am

[quote=""nona""]watched Pathfinder which I bought the other day, forgot how good a movie it was till I saw it again. Now that I think about it it reminds me of 13th Warrior.[/quote]

I enjoyed both films....The Pathfinder was a bit flawed in the storyline, the action sequences were dark and realistic the Icelandic dialogue was a nice touch....I liked "The 13th Warrior" a bit more...characters and storyline were better developed....My bias is based on my reading Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead" novel.....Again both were enjoyable romps

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu November 13th, 2008, 2:54 am

yes chuck I agree that 13th Warrior might be the better movie due to the story and accuracy but I enjoyed Pathfinder just as much for entertainment and I agree I loved the whole guttral dialogue and I have to say the costumes were good, I thought.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 13th, 2008, 5:19 am

Nona....I think both films will rate cult status soon....excellent midnight madness movies......really..... really.... dark films....I wish someone do a remake of Robert Howard's "Conan" ....Pathfinder had a Conan look and feel to it......BTW I like dark and dreary films.......Peace

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 13th, 2008, 12:01 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Thanks for the warning Madeleine. I've got it on my Love Film order sheet, but as a low priority. Think I might just remove it. Is it bloodthirsty?[/quote]

yes it's very bloodthirsty but in a sort of cartoonish way. I found it unintentionally amusing at times too but it has its moments.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu November 13th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Conan, now thats another good movie now that you mention it chuck Pathfinder is alot like Conan.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 13th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Has anyone seen "City of Vice"?...Ian McDiarmid as Fielding...the series about the Bow Street Runners.....Looks good ...

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 13th, 2008, 5:23 pm

City of Vice was on TV here earlier this year, it wasn't bad. Unfortunately I missed the last ep so don't know how it ended!

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu November 13th, 2008, 5:31 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I enjoyed The 13th Warrior from what I can remember of it.

Watched 300 today - what a load of twaddle! Looked good but that was about it, couldn't get past Gerard Butler's Scottish accent when he's playing an ancient Greek although it did sound as if he was trying to disguise his accent a bit...couldn't take it seriously at all, Troy was a masterpiece by comparison![/quote]

I haven't seen the 13th Warrior yet. But I did not like 300, didn't even finish it ! But that was because I thought I was in for a good historical film ! :confused:

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”