Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poldark (US broadcast)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Poldark (US broadcast)

Post by princess garnet » Fri May 29th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Thought I'd start a thread for "Poldark" for its US broadcast on June 21st.

There are a few videos up too. Enjoy!
(Note: Video may not play outside US)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri May 29th, 2015, 6:38 pm

The videos don't seem to work in the Uk - hope you enjoy it!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue July 7th, 2015, 1:28 pm

I finally sat down and watched the first three episodes that have been aired so far. It's very pretty. Technology today certainly contributes to much better production values than in the 70s, but I find the story itself and character development in this new adaptation rather pared down. Poldark wasn't just about the Poldark family. It involved the entire community which has so far been barely there in this version. I was a little worried when so many of the reviews focused on Aidan Turner's hotness. That worry has been realized. This new version is still watchable, but I think it's relying more on scenery than storytelling to carry it along.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 7th, 2015, 6:40 pm

There's an awful lot of galloping along the cliff tops isn't there! Which does at times feel a bit like padding, but I think a bit more of the community comes out as it goes on, although like most TV adaptations it does feel a bit rushed at times. But it was perfect Sunday night escapism, I've only seen a few episodes of the original series, and fairly recently, so they look a bit clunky compared to the gloss of the new show.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 10th, 2015, 3:02 am

Having read lots of rave reviews I thought I'd give this series a go and did see it out to the end, was but disappointed by the schmaltzy Mills & Boons' treatment. I was reduced to helpless laughter every time the "gallop across the scenic clifftop" trope made yet another appearance to a sweeping soundtrack heavy on the violins. The pace was abysmally slow- how on earth did they manage to make that last episode with its dramatic shipwreck and riot tedious, for heavens' sake?

A missed opportunity in my opinion - could have been given genuine heft with a bit of character development, decent dialogue, and some understanding of how actual historical events of the time impacted on the Cornish people. Very pretty but no substance to speak of.

One good thing - it got me dragging my old "Poldark" novels out of storage for a reread and I've been really enjoying them. Happily, they are as good as I remember them being.
Last edited by annis on Fri July 10th, 2015, 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Re: Poldark (US broadcast)

Post by Divia » Fri July 17th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Im not at all that interested in it, to be honest. I watched one episode and I'm not sure if it was one or two, but eh, it just didn't do it for me.

I mean I'll watch it for background noise, but I think thats about it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon August 3rd, 2015, 7:19 pm

Thoughts about the 7th and final episode last night? (It ran nearly 2 hours long here in the US)

There was a lot of ground covered: the failure of Wheal Leisure and the company, the shipwreck and its implications, arranging an escape, and an illness in the area. Ross and Delmeza's moment on the cliff side was ruined at the end courtesy of the Warleggans! :(
I enjoyed watching the series as a whole. We'll see what happens next in 2nd season.

As for that pledge pitch after the show on our local PBS station: :x
Last edited by princess garnet on Tue August 4th, 2015, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 4th, 2015, 8:39 am

7 episodes, that's interesting, it was shown over 8 episodes over here. Must have been edited somehow to fit your time-slots. :confused:

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Tue August 4th, 2015, 8:53 am

If you are after a laugh, go to youtube and sear for" Poldark proper version". Cornish fellow does voice overs of snipets of the show. I came to it via facebook.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue August 4th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Madeleine wrote:7 episodes, that's interesting, it was shown over 8 episodes over here. Must have been edited somehow to fit your time-slots. :confused:
The final two episodes were aired back to back as one two-hour episode here. I enjoyed the series overall, but felt it moved a little slow with all the beautiful establishing shots--very artful, but slowed the action. It's been so long since I saw the originals and read the books, I can't with any honesty make comparisons. They only impression I carried through was that Demelza in the the original was much more of a spitfire--but I can't be sure!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”