Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ancient Egypt

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Ancient Egypt

Post by Nefret » Sat November 9th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I was looking for either fiction or non-fiction. New Kingdom or earlier. Though not the Amarna Period or Ramses the Great, please.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

JenniferLovesRoxi
Scribbler

Post by JenniferLovesRoxi » Tue November 26th, 2013, 4:32 pm

I love to read HF set in Ancient Egypt, but I have to confess that when it comes to time periods (ie New Kingdom, etc.) I am not that well versed, so when you say "New Kingdom or earlier. Though not the Amarna Period or Ramses the Great, please" I am not entirely sure when/ who that would refer to.

However, here are some of my favorite HF books set in Ancient Egypt:

1: Child of the Morning- Pauline Gedge (one of my all- time favorite books EVER)

2: The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King)- L. M. Ironside (I am reading this series right now, currently on book 2)

3: The Princess of Egypt Must Die- Stephanie Dray (actually a too- short short story, available for free on Amazon in Kindle format-- fabulous story, I just wish the author would turn it into a full length novel!)

There are several others that I have read but those are the three best that I can think of right now. If I think of anything else I will add it.

AnnaNagel

Historical outline Ancient Egypt

Post by AnnaNagel » Sun December 1st, 2013, 6:40 pm

Hi Jennifer, was thinking about your query about periods in Ancient Egypt and thought this might help a bit:
The history of Ancient Egypt is divided into chunks of time, for instance,
Predynastic is the very earliest period (Neolithic).
The Early Dynastic period This lasted 487 years, from 3100 – 2613 BC. The first groups of kings appeared here (dynasties 1-3), and the earliest forms of writing emerged.
The Old Kingdom This lasted 453 years, from 2613 – 2160 BC. This is when the pyramids at Giza were built (dynasties 4-8), beginning with the Pharaoh Sneferu.
First Intermediate Period A mere 120 years, 2160 – 2040 BC. (Dynasties 9-11) A period of political instability, with several kings ruling at once from different seats of power.
Middle Kingdom 290 years, 2040 – 1650 BC, (dynasties 11-13) Order seems to have broken down at the end of the middle kingdom, resulting in a gradual invasion by Egypt’s neighbours, the Hyksos (rulers of foreign lands).
Second Intermediate period (1650-1550 BC, dynasties 13-17) Egypt under Hyksos rule until Ahmose I drove them from power and established the New Kingdom.
New Kingdom (1550 -1086 BC, (dynasties 18 - 20) My personal favourite, when the pharaohs were buried in the Valley of the Kings and Thebes (now Luxor) operated as the capital city. There was a wobble when Akhenahten (married to Nefertiti) invented a new religion and abandoned Thebes for a new city (known as the Armana period, which you mentioned) but his son Tutankhamun restored the old ways. This was the era that spawned the Ramesside period with 11 rulers bearing that name, including Rameses II who ruled for 66 years during the 19th dynasty.
Third Intermediate period (1086-661, dynasties 21-25) Rulership moved from Thebes to Tanis. Assyrians invaded.
The Late period (661-332 BC, dynasties 26-30) More invasions and foreign rulers.
The Ptolomaic Period (332-30 BC) Conquest of Egypt by Alexander the Great.
Roman Period. (31 BC – 642 AD) After defeating Cleopatra VII, Rome absorbed Egypt into its empire and eventually Christianity became the official religion.

Hope that isn’t too dull, confusing or hard to digest.
Regards,
Anna. 
Last edited by AnnaNagel on Sun December 1st, 2013, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon December 2nd, 2013, 10:01 am

Thanks for posting that Anna, I didn't know the timeline of Ancient Egypt before, and found it easy to digest.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon December 2nd, 2013, 6:06 pm

I should say I already have/ read Child of the Morning. It is a good book. And also... I own no kindle or similar device.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

AnnaNagel

re timeline Ancient Egypt

Post by AnnaNagel » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 12:15 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]Thanks for posting that Anna, I didn't know the timeline of Ancient Egypt before, and found it easy to digest.[/quote]

Thanks LadyB, I appreciate your comments :) . It's my first posting and I was worried I'd step on someone's toes (as everyone here seems very knowledgeable), but I saw no one else had got around to seeing Jennifer's post and replying to it and I knew I had the facts.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Wed January 29th, 2014, 5:47 am

Thanks for the chronology. It's nice to have one I don't need to look up.

Anyway... whom is the L.M Ironside book about? I assume it's historical fiction. And is it available in real book?
Last edited by Nefret on Wed January 29th, 2014, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Kat
Scribbler

Post by Kat » Mon March 9th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Pity the OP specified not Ramses, because the Ramses series by Christian Jacq is really good.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Mon March 9th, 2015, 6:02 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Thanks for the chronology. It's nice to have one I don't need to look up.

Anyway... whom is the L.M Ironside book about? I assume it's historical fiction. And is it available in real book?[/quote]

Hatshepsut. There's actually four books, available in print. They're quite good. Also, I enjoyed Pauline Gedge's books.

ellisael
Scribbler
Currently reading: Vegetarian
Interest in HF: I am interested in the stories of colonisation rn
Favourite HF book: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Preferred HF: Mughal Era

Re: Ancient Egypt

Post by ellisael » Wed June 16th, 2021, 10:24 am

really love this thread- my infatuation with early governance started with the poem on King Ozymandias

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”